Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?

Article about: UK based gentleman posted this on Reddit's militaria subreddit for identification help awhile back. He decided to sell about a month ago and at the time I passed because I had purchased some

Default Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?

UK based gentleman posted this on Reddit's militaria subreddit for identification help awhile back. He decided to sell about a month ago and at the time I passed because I had purchased some other items, but now I'm in a place I can make a deal. Story is:

The helmet was gifted to me by a family friend 19 years ago, after they discovered it in the attic of a house they had purchased from a relative. They knew I liked this kind of thing and didn't want it around. When it was found it was wrapped in very, very old paper. I couldn't guess at a date for how long it had been there but since posting the thread I asked my Dad and he remembers them also showing him newspapers with Macmillian as the Prime minister (57-63) at the same time so it's possible it's lived up there since then. We are in the UK so although conditions are wet, if it was kept protected from the damp it won't have had much humidity to deal with.

It's since lived in a safely in a box at my Dad's place until he returned it to me recently and it lives here safely in a box now too.

I have tried researching the name in the helmet but unfortunately I have not been successful in tracking the man down. A german friend has also tried on my behalf but has not been lucky either.

It's not my area of interest particularly and I'm getting married so I would like to sell it.

Condition description as per seller:

The helmet has a thin layer of rust covering most of the top of the shell. This comes off rapidly when gently brushed and I would best describe it as a stubborn dust. I have not cleaned it because frankly I do not trust myself.

There are several white marks on the helmet. When I first got the helmet I found this could be removed with a cloth but for the same reason as the rust, I have not done this myself. Sounds crazy, but I think it's chalk? It's definitely not paint.

The leather liner is very pliable and completely intact. It feels soft like chamois.

The strap is tough but still pliable and doesn't feel stiff. The buckles are still adjustable.

Biggest complaint by people is that the split pin wear isn't as consistent with the rest of the helmet. These are all the photos I have as of now. He's asking 800 British Pounds which would include shipping. I will be crossposting this on several other forums so if you provide feedback in one place, don't feel like you need to add it to the other place(s). Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?   Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?  

Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?   Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?  

Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?   Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?  

Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Q64 M35 Luftwaffe DD - Any concerns?
    P
    Many

The liner has at least been removed, possibly replaced, and re-installed incorrectly.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

True, but potentially correctable

Looks promising to me, the liner is in backwards, though.
    Probably due to being played with after the war.
    Could be one of the 1940 dated DD LW helmets that Frank has posted a few of on his website germanhelmetvault.com
    So, it is important to know if the liner is dated 1940, also what is the lot number?
    Liner pins should also be dated 1940.
    I think the liner pins are just in better shape because they're probably made of aluminium and therefore didn't rust.

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Looks promising to me, the liner is in backwards, though.
    Probably due to being played with after the war.
    Could be one of the 1940 dated DD LW helmets that Frank has posted a few of on his website germanhelmetvault.com
    So, it is important to know if the liner is dated 1940, also what is the lot number?
    Liner pins should also be dated 1940.
    I think the liner pins are just in better shape because they're probably made of aluminium and therefore didn't rust.
    Agreed about the liner and the split pins. Lot is 3226.

This sold

MAP
    ?

Quote by akriener View Post
    This sold
    It was one to pass on anyway IMHO.

The liner as noted has been replace. It is a steel liner band. On a DD M35 it should be either single band and reinforced aluminum.

The chin strap too has a steel buckle instead of an aluminum type we would expect to see.

Too many questions and certainly not textbook. So why take a chance.

(The bird looks correct. Being a "dot-less" example. These were on Q helmets in 39 M35's or early M-40's)

Edit: Franks Lot # database has a match for lot # 3226

M35 3226 Q 64 DD LW alu reinforced liner Eagle decal 95% (damaged head and left wing, scar and damages right wing) – tricolor 70% (black almost gone , part of the white also damaged) – dark brown worn leather with name in pencil
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)