MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question about potential period gray repaint of Luftwaffe camo helmet

Article about: Hi all. This helmet was found (literally) in the veteran's footlocker after he passed. As we all know that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't added to the footlocker post war. I've never com

?

Default Question about potential period gray repaint of Luftwaffe camo helmet

Hi all.

This helmet was found (literally) in the veteran's footlocker after he passed. As we all know that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't added to the footlocker post war. I've never come across an example like this where the original gray paint was applied OVER the camo. Although these photos aren't great (I've requested better shots from the owner) they do show clear signs of the helmet having been (at some point) camo painted. The camo paint remains on the interior and the gray paint application was cut in around the camo overpainted eagle decal. The gray paint also appears to be consistent in color, tone and finish (matte) with period gray helmet paint.

My question is this... Does anyone know if it was a practice during the period to REPAINT a camo helmet back to the original gray? If so, does this example fit what we would expect in terms of decal treatment, where the paint was cut around the decal instead of the decal being reapplied?

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about potential period gray repaint of Luftwaffe camo helmet
    P
    Many

Have better photos of the bird ? everything is possible but good photos are essential.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Have better photos of the bird ?
    Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I'm trying to get better photos (of the bird as well). I will post them if/when I have them but I'm more curious about answers to my question specifically, not necessarily whether or not the helmet itself it authentic. Hopefully that makes sense.

The bird in my opinion is the key to the mystery.
    It is hard to tell what is happening there and to determine if the paint is authentic or if someone removed the authentic overpaint to 'make it better' (and failed).
    So far I guess it is the last option.

Mmmn, that is an odd one. I like the look of the "tan" cammo from the internal shots, but it seems strange to me that if the bird was over painted in the same paint at the same time, (the "tan" appears to over paint the bird) it is so visible? The paint on the inside was "strong enough" to block out the Luftwaffe blue but too weak to cover a white Adler?? There seem to be a lot of questions over this one for me, but hopefully some better sharp close up images will clear it up. Leon.

?

Here are a couple much better shots of the entire side of the helmet with the bird, as well as a closer shot of the bird. There are clear brush strokes visible in the better photos, but again - the big question is whether or not this was a known period practice.

Hi, I am going to "stick my neck out" and say that I am not convinced that this is correct and period. I cannot see enough of the decals details to call it one way or the other, but there is something about the way that both the "tan" and grey paint are sitting that makes me uncomfortable. The helmet appears from the inside to have had reasonable use, but there is no real wear externally other than "storage wear" and the area around the liner pin which will move about looks very good with no paint loss? I may be wrong, but that's my gut instinct. Leon.

I can't see anyone overpainting a tan colour helmet unless instructed to do so.imo original to the time.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I can't see anyone overpainting a tan colour helmet unless instructed to do so.imo original to the time.
    I can see your reasoning Harry, but why would they then "cut around" an already over painted decal? That coupled with the decal drop directive makes it even odder to me that it was "cut around" in the first place. Just all seems very strange to me, I have never seen anything like it. Leon.

?

I agree with you Leon. Without some kind of proof otherwise, or even a period photo showing decal treatment like this, one has to assume the worse. I'd like to give this my blessing as well, but I've just never seen a camo helmet being repainted gray (green) again while cutting around the decal. In fact, I've never seen a camo helmet being repainted (by hand) back to the original factory color period unless it was done post war.

If anyone has photos showing a helmet that was repainted in this manner, or knows otherwise from experience, please chime in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast