Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Question on relic helmet,

Article about: Hi, The other i thought a picked up two relic helmets one a M42 in ok condition, the other i thought a 42 also. This has some damage, it also has like rounded rivets in the breather holes, i

Default Question on relic helmet,

Hi,
    The other day i picked up two relic helmets one a M42 in ok condition, the other i thought a 42 also. This has some damage, it also has like rounded rivets in the breather holes, iv only seen one in the past with this and it was a winter camo one, could anyone tell me why the helmet would have these rivets im interested to know.
    thanks Dave

sorry i cant send pics
    Last edited by Panzer 3; 02-08-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question on relic helmet,
    P
    Many

Hi Dave,

If the helmet has rounded rivets in the air vents then it would be an M35. You should be able to tell if you look inside. M35's had the rivet peened in while the vents on M40's and 42' were stamped during the construction process. The M35/40 will also have a a rolled/crimped edge to the shell while the M42 is uncrimped.

Really not much else to say unless you are able to provide good images.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the answer I do have 42 / 35 helmets but this one is different it has solid rivets in the air vents. They are e rounded on the outside but no holes in them, the only one I ever saw was on a winter camo 42, yrs ago. I never understood why they were like that, now I have one myself I will try to get pics on here. Dave

Hi Dave,

I think we’d really need to see some images both inside and out in order to draw any more conclusions. There were some oddities towards the end of the war such as the ventless M45 but this doesn’t sound like one. Could be a post war alteration.

I look forward to seeing some pics.

Andy

Hi, Andy,
    Yeah i know what you mean but this is a battlefield dug helmet it is an odd one for me, i will try to put up some pics if i can but printer / scanner is knackered.
    thanks Dave,

Are you perhaps confusing the liner pins with blocked vent holes?