Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet

Article about: nice,thats the first iv seen with the ET decal as well

Default Re: Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet

Yes, they are all good questions and ones that I would love to know the answer to.

I will dig through my collection of photographs and see if I can gain anything new from them.

The official practice vs soldier initiative question is the most interesting to me. Perhaps somebody knows and can provide some evidence?

Best,
    Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet
    P
    Many

nice m40 i dont mind the look of those chin straps on german helmets

Do you know what the white colored paint on it from?

Hi Kyle,

I can not say for sure. The most likely reason for this would be improper storage in the veterans garage. If I remember correctly, this one came out of a veterans estate.

I suppose somebody accidentally slopped a bit of paint while it was in the garage or something similair.

Josh

?

One of my first helmets was an M40 Heer the - same maker/decal combo as this one, so I have a soft spot for them. Your is in much better condition and the Czech strap only adds to its character. Great helmet Josh.

Regards,
    John

Thanks, John - It's nice to see this helmet resurface on the forum and get some very kind compliments.

It's almost been a year since I purchased it, it still resides on my shelf (pic below). It is an interesting helmet, I'd love to know more about these chinstraps, but I think that is a mystery that is lost to time.

Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet

I threw around the possibility that these chinstraps were issued to rear-echelon soldiers/servicemen, but looking at the condition of the liner on this one (and others with the same chinstrap), many have seen some heavy use.

Thanks to all,
    Josh

Nice helmet Josh,
    Here is my M40 Q64 that I bought from forum member SSSAMIR earlier this year. A more worn example sure, but very close in paint finish, and if the elements had have affected both equally, we could have had twins!
    Cheers, Dan
    ( one of my favourites also )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet   Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet  

Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet   Quist - M1940 Heer Helmet  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very nice, Dan! I really like it! Got any liner shots or a link to the original thread?

Samir has some VERY nice Heer helmets, he really knows how to pick 'em. You did well to pick that one up

Thanks for your compliments.
    Josh

?

I've seen the chinstrap on several German helmets, I assume field replaced, nothing more or less. Broken strap. Need a new one. Don't think the combat soldier much cared where it came from. Nice charachter piece.

Thanks, Doug - field replacement is also a likely possibility and in many cases I'm sure that a broken strap was the catalyst for picking up a Czech strap, perhaps comfort was also a factor (this is the most common explanation, but I think it is probably guess work). I'll continue to search for photographs of these straps in wear.

Josh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast