Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quist? M42 sd heer helmet

Article about: Hello all! This my first venture into the helmet world. And if possible I d like to hear some opinions please? Its a M42 of that much I'm confident lol, but that s about the extent of my kno

Default Quist? M42 sd heer helmet

Hello all! This my first venture into the helmet world. And if possible I d like to hear some opinions please? Its a M42 of that much I'm confident lol, but that s about the extent of my knowledge. To my eyes anyhow all the components, minus the paint of course seem original to the helmet. The liner (possibly blood stained?), retainer, and pins look undisturbed, and in good condition. The decal had been dug out from the postwar paint, and unfortunately is in less than good condition. Most of the original chinstrap is there in fragments (not pictured). I cannot fully make out the heat stamp markings, but looking through previous threads they compare well to quist made helmets? Possibly a "qvl" ? But as said they are difficult to make out w/o removing some paint; which I do not want to do. In any event any help offered would be appreciated! My thanks in advance! Best regards.

Brian
    Quist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmetQuist? M42 sd heer helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quist? M42 sd heer helmet   Quist? M42 sd heer helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quist? M42 sd heer helmet
    P
    Many

?

As far as post war re-paints go, this one is pretty cool. That big crazy red Swastika seems to have some age....likely a biker helmet from the 60's. As long as it wasn't expensive, I like it!

a biker used helmet,hope it was cheap.

Thanks guys. My initial thought was much the same about the biker theme. But like rahllo I liked the look of it, and thought it had age, and was well done. Over the top? I' m certain for most people's taste. I picked it absentee bid through my local auction house for $200 USD. Figuring it at least had character.

Quist? M42 sd heer helmet

It seems like German helmets of all kinds (M16, M35, M40, M42 and Luftschutz) were popular with bikers including the Hell's Angels. You can see two in the photo from 1969. It might be advisable to keep this as a period counter culture piece. Someone out there collects that kind of thing no doubt. A restoration is possible if the paint is cheap but who knows what kind of damage will be done. You can see the original color in the dome. NH

So keeping it as is for the counter culture significance might be advisable. NH

Thanks for your reply and supplied photograph Neil. I really like the postwar paint, realizing its not for everybody. But it does tell another story alltogether. I would love to someday get a nice period helmet unmodified, but i'm happy to own this one too. I absolutely agree its worth preserving it in its present state. And have no plans to alter it as it sits. Thanks again.

Brian

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    So keeping it as is for the counter culture significance might be advisable. NH
    Hi, I'm with Neil on this one. A helmet that is most likely of little interest to us "purists" as it has been heavily messed with, BUT, it does have a "post war" history of it's own. Maybe (just maybe) that will become interesting in it's own right. Personally I would leave it in the condition it is. Leon.

Thanks for your reply Leon. And everybody else. Out of curiosity is there any insight on the producer? I know its hard to see the heat stamps, but believe it or not its almost easier to make them out in the photograph than looking at them in person? I was curious about the qvl question as a producer? The only reason I ask is because of this helmet posted in a previous thread. It has similar attributes, especially with what appears to be a small O or Q stamped in the reverse at the rear of the helmet, directly above the second or lower set of numbers. Thanks again guys!

Brian

Helmet M42 Original or Fake?

Looks to be a size 64.

I probably would have bought this, as I could use
    the crusty liner for a shell that, although rather
    worn and rusted, is original.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast