Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

RAD Helmet l

Article about: What do you guys think.

Default Re: RAD Helmet l

Nah, still bad - the shape of the shield, the graphics. Germanhelmet.com has much useful information, but not all is correct and some of the decals listed as period on that site are, in my humble opinion, not correct, including at least one of the Luftschutz decals and one of the RAD decals. The decal posted by Anders in this thread is textbook. Bob Coleman posted a variant RAD several years ago with at least a 50 year provenance that corroborates Brian Bell's statement that there are variations to the RAD decal, but the one on this helmet does not match that one. There are MANY fake RAD decals, and in my mind, this is one of them. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Jim G

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Helmet l
    P
    Many

Quote by Waffenbruder View Post
    Well, I just had to jump in on this. As a long time helmet collector I don't think this can be declared a fake based on the pictures. It would need a closer exam. RAD helmets are scarce and therefore not as well documented as military ones. The decal is believed to have a few variations and this one appears to fall within the known specs. Read this from Brian Bell of helmets.com:

RAD. The total number of helmets that received this insignia is unknown. When applied, the decal was placed on the right or left side of helmets issued with no insignia. In some cases helmets were given two RAD decals, one on each side. Helmets issued from Army or Luftwaffe supply centers had the RAD decal applied to the right side of the helmet. In some cases, Army helmets have been observed where the RAD decal has been applied directly over the Army insignia. At least two different variations of the RAD decal are known to exist. Others might also exist, although the number is likely to be few.
    I have only observed one genuine decal type for the RAD so far. All the other types I have seen were fakes. The fakes are very common , the originals very scarce.
    This one doesn't come close.

Interesting comment. How many RAD helmets have passed your way to make that statement? Only one genuine one? all others fake? Sorry, that's opinion, not compelling evidence. I have 45 years collecting experience and have only myself seen a couple. There simply isn't enough around to compare. The one in this thread may indeed be questionable, but unless you have a source of knowledge that surpasses mine and the opinions of others, then the jury is out as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it is fair to speak in absolutes. It's always a good idea to be cautious in passing judgement, since it can be harmful to buyers and sellers alike.

Interesting comment. How many RAD helmets have passed your way to make that statement? Only one genuine one? all others fake? Sorry, that's opinion, not compelling evidence. I have 45 years collecting experience and have only myself seen a couple. There simply isn't enough around to compare. The one in this thread may indeed be questionable, but unless you have a source of knowledge that surpasses mine and the opinions of others, then the jury is out as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it is fair to speak in absolutes. It's always a good idea to be cautious in passing judgement, since it can be harmful to buyers and sellers alike.
    This helmet was posted on several forums and got the thumbs down from other helmet collectors.
    I can say I have seen quite a few original examples being posted across the dedicated helmet forums (with good pictures) and I own two RAD M42's myself + 3 other RAD's are in a collection of a friend nearby. All those have the same decal type. Observation and catalogueing is a good substitute for 'compelling evidence'.

You are free to choose your jury ;-)

You may possibly be right about this particular helmet, I won't argue that, but having 2 and knowing a friend with 3 hardly qualifies as expert opinion. I don't consider most of the comments on forums to be taken seriously, because rarely do you find objectivity. There are always a few absolutists that pass opinions as if they are the final word. Of course THEIRS are always the real ones. Sorry, I didn't mean for this to become a debate. I was just adding my opinion. Too many times I have seen good pieces condemned and bad pieces given approval which leads me to believe it's not always about the reality but the preception.

BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Nice helmet.

This helmet is not very 'rad' at all... heheh

?

You may possibly be right about this particular helmet, I won't argue that, but having 2 and knowing a friend with 3 hardly qualifies as expert opinion. I don't consider most of the comments on forums to be taken seriously, because rarely do you find objectivity. There are always a few absolutists that pass opinions as if they are the final word. Of course THEIRS are always the real ones. Sorry, I didn't mean for this to become a debate. I was just adding my opinion. Too many times I have seen good pieces condemned and bad pieces given approval which leads me to believe it's not always about the reality but the preception.
    I'm not sure you read Franks post clearly or not. Frank has seen in hand 5, and has catalogued many more, both real and fake. I would give Franks opinion on the matter some weight. Using the logic of "rare" therefore no expertise can exist opens the door for fakers wide open.

Period decals have certain qualities about them especially when visible under magnification, this particular RAD decal does not appear to have period print qualities from the pics. Of that matter Frank certainly has expertise.

BTW I also agree, this RAD is postwar.

I'm sorry, which one of you is Frank?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast