Quote by Waffenbruder View Post
    I'm sorry, which one of you is Frank?
    Sorry, that Schwerpunkt.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Helmet l
    P
    Many

Default Re: RAD Helmet l

Well, I always appreciate a frank opinion How fortunate he is to have come across so many RAD helmets. I know many long time collectors that are lucky to have seen one or two in years of collecting. I am in regular contact with most of the major sellers in the USA and none of them have had a RAD helmet at the shows or on their websites in a long time. The point I was trying to make is that rare items are hard to be an expert about other than applying general rules. I examine a piece carefully for red flags. I check for artificial aging, missing or buggered parts, examine decals with a jewlers loupe and yes, If still not sure, get opinions from experienced collectors I trust. If it survives all that, I am usually satisfied. Can I be fooled? Yes, no one is immune. But as a 20 year show dealer and a 10 year ebayer I have sold 1000's of items and have had only 5 come back. Not many can beat that record. (Check my ebay feedback) I'm saying this not to brag, but to show I'm no novice. Perhaps in the area of RAD helmets some of you may be more experienced, but I am always cautious about speaking in absolutes.

A fake is a fake even coverded with gold.
    Chris

Fake RAD helmet unfortunetly.

I must agree with Waffenbruder. There has been little in depth study of the RAD decal. No one can state how many period variations exist. I have owned several RAD helmets over the years with direct veteran provenance. In each case, there were minute differences in the decals. I have been at this long enough to see some serious positions on originality debunked on items. The jury is still out on these.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I must agree with Waffenbruder. There has been little in depth study of the RAD decal. No one can state how many period variations exist. I have owned several RAD helmets over the years with direct veteran provenance. In each case, there were minute differences in the decals. I have been at this long enough to see some serious positions on originality debunked on items. The jury is still out on these.
    While the mind must stay open for variations , no variation has popped up at all in the years gone by. The good ones that did pop up had all the same decal. Even the ones on M35's and M40's. Minute differences can be the cause of misprinting which doesn't make it a variation.
    I'm happy to look at any variation you can present , so far the ones I have seen were all fakes.
    The compostion of the RAD decal is the same as a Heer decal so any new design popping up should easily pass the test with the USB microscope.
    The decal example in the 1981 book of Weinand and Goodapple is for me the only I have observed and I would trust.

I feel like I'm on the shore watching epic sea creatures battle in the surf. This thread is beyond me so I won't give an opinion. Very interesting though.

Have you got threads on your RAD lids Frank?

I like your New helmet Frank.
    I like civil helmet and that one is a great one.
    chris

[QUOTE=Waffenbruder;324295]Well, I always appreciate a frank opinion

Now That reply was worth a thumbs up! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I feel like I'm on the shore watching epic sea creatures battle in the surf. This thread is beyond me so I won't give an opinion. Very interesting though.
    Excellent post. Made me laugh out loud and I share that opinion 100%.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3