Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Rad m-40

Article about: by francis006 simply because the decal was on bad helmets (paint and/or application ) ! (BTW The other very scare "variant" with the swas in a round shield also is bad ) This opini

Default Re: Rad m-40

Quote by francis006 View Post
    Hello Bob , your other RAD posted is a "textbook" one but sorry to say I've never seen an original RAD decal like this !
    Like any other period helmet, more than one manufacturer supplied decals. In my 54 years of collecting, I have encountered one other RAD helmet with this decal. The provenenace on this helmet goes back to the 1960's. In hand, this helmet is a one looker. I am not offering it for sale. The reason for posting it was to display an origial, variant decal. I know variant is not a word newer collectors like to hear. They want "textbook." What is "textbook?" In my mind, it is anything that is period original that we can learn from. Thanks for your thoughts.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rad m-40
    P
    Many

Cool Re: Rad m-40

very nice and interesting one

Bob , it's not only a problem of variant but also the way the decal is .
    but it's just my humble opinion

very nice helmet there!!

?

sir:

we appreciate humility here - but also specifics. please explain what you mean by "is" in terms of this decal. and please, no "gut feelings."

merci.

Bob , it's not only a problem of variant but also the way the decal is .
    but it's just my humble opinion

Very nice and interesting helmet Bob, i have never seen one like this , its great to see this type being showen along with the history behind it , cheers Raymond

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    RAD helmets worn in a theatre of operation outside of Germany wore their badge on the right side. Helmets worn inside the Reich would have the badge on the left. Note the M-42 RAD helmet I have also posted.
    have seen some photos of latvians in RAD.pics wehre taken in latvija.these boys had helmets with this decals on left side.

Regulations do not necessarily mean that they were followed at all times. I doubt that the RAD men bothered to know what the rules were for wearing helmet insignia. They were concerned with wearing head protection that was provided to them.
    BOB

Hi Vady , to answer you , I just don't see on the close up the usual features seen on original decals.
    To be short , flat looking , no metallic content !
    For this peculiar decal itself as I said , shield shape and poor eagle design far from the known type . Add the small scratches all over the decal that don't look "natural" and you would understand why I'm sceptical !
    I agree the side isn't a problem as these helmets are reissues .

Hi Vady , to answer you , I just don't see on the close up the usual features seen on original decals.
    To be short , flat looking , no metallic content !
    For this peculiar decal itself as I said , shield shape and poor eagle design far from the known type . Add the small scratches all over the decal that don't look "natural" and you would understand why I'm sceptical !
    I agree the side isn't a problem as these helmets are reissues .
    There is never a problem with being skeptical..The decal does have metalic content, which may not be evident to you in the pictures. The scratches on the decal are random and in hand do look natural.
    It all boils down to whether I am confident in the originality of this helmet or not. I know it's provenance. As I stated previously, not all RAD decals were made by one manufacturer. I know of no known in depth study of these decals due to a lack of widespread interest. We must also judge the piece in total, which would also include the paint. The finish matches known examples of texture and hue used on helmets in the era. Getting the paint right has always been a problem for the fakers. Over 53 years of collecting, I have seen numerous unquestionable original pieces doomed to the pits of doubt due to oral tradition that no one can state the source or the information to back that train of thought up. Except ith the exception of well known fakes, it is not always easy to judge an item solely from pictures. I am happy with it/ I also do not intend to sell it.
    BOB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast