Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real or fake chin strap

Article about: When it comes to chin straps, I am useless. Unless it is really obvious, I can't tell if one is real or fake. So what are your thoughts on this one?

Default Real or fake chin strap

When it comes to chin straps, I am useless. Unless it is really obvious, I can't tell if one is real or fake. So what are your thoughts on this one?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake chin strap
    P
    Many

Default Re: Real or fake chin strap

Looks original to me. Correct number of prong holes, correct retaining studs, makers mark has the right style number font, and buckle looks alright as well. Let's wait and see what others say.

I'm not crazy about this one, specifically the buckle. I feel I have seen this style before listed as a repro strap. Stand by for more opinions.

?

To me it looks as if its been artificially aged, so im thinking repro, i daresay there will be other comments

I made a comparison of this chinstrap and known originals. I could be way off, this is just what I'm seeing.

Real or fake chin strap

Similarities in color, shape, material, and number of holes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake chin strap  

?

Youd be surprised what fakers can do these days. number of holes mean nothing, also, real rivets can be put on new leather.

Quote by Dean View Post
    Youd be surprised what fakers can do these days. number of holes mean nothing, also, real rivets can be put on new leather.
    Every detail should be taken into account. That is why we compare originals to fakes, to make a judgment based on similarities and differences.

?

I understand that..

IMO, It really comes down to the look of the leather, Original buckles and rivets can be stitched into new leather, making them look very convincing. The signs are usually in the quality, appearance and feel of the leather. The leather on this strap doesnt look right, and neither does the buckle.

The leather looks somewhat new to me, i.e it still has the 'fuzz' on the edges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast