Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is this for real, what am I missing here?

Article about: no comment

Default Re: Is this for real, what am I missing here?

Why are people saying it probably didn't sell for $12,950.00 ? Isn't it quite obvious that it actually did? Unless you're suggesting that several 99-100% positively rated ebayers bid on this item for fun without any real intention of actually paying if won, that is.. Just curious.

add: I know this happens (shill bidding or idiots bidding with no intention of paying) but here we're talking about something like 10 different bidders from $10,000 and up alone...
    Last edited by slados28; 02-16-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: addition

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this for real, what am I missing here?
    P
    Many

Four pages....Thirty one (so far) replies, yet only three of us have commented on whether this helmet is good or bad. Currently it stands at two for and one against.

Where are all the helmet guys? Guess we've gotta wait for DB, and then it'll be a case of "apres moi, le deluge". Dissapointing, but not entirely unexpected.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Why are people saying it probably didn't sell for $12,950.00 ? Isn't it quite obvious that it actually did? Unless you're suggesting that several 99-100% positively rated ebayers bid on this item for fun without any real intention of actually paying if won, that is.. Just curious.

add: I know this happens (shill bidding or idiots bidding with no intention of paying) but here we're talking about something like 10 different bidders from $10,000 and up alone...
    I sell cars on the side and it happens all the time on eBay. People run sh*t up for the fun of it or intentialy ruin an auction. Buyers can not receive negative like they used to, only the sellers.

I recently had a 2006 BMW Z4 roadster on eBay and they ran it up to $20k. I emailed the buyer and he said his 5 year old daughter accidentally bidded. OK, no problem. I sent a second chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder and he told me his grandmother just kicked the bucket. Ok, my sympathies. I sent the third highest bidder a second chance offer and he never responded.

I would never sell on eBay using their auction style formats ever again, only classified formats!

As far as the helmet in question, maybe it sold, maybe not. It's eBay, not "Christie's".

Quote by SSamir View Post
    I sell cars on the side and it happens all the time on eBay. People run sh*t up for the fun of it or intentialy ruin an auction. Buyers can not receive negative like they used to, only the sellers.

I recently had a 2006 BMW Z4 roadster on eBay and they ran it up to $20k. I emailed the buyer and he said his 5 year old daughter accidentally bidded. OK, no problem. I sent a second chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder and he told me his grandmother just kicked the bucket. Ok, my sympathies. I sent the third highest bidder a second chance offer and he never responded.

I would never sell on eBay using their auction formats ever again, only classified formats!

As far as the helmet in question, maybe it sold, maybe not. It's eBay, not "Christie's".
    Sure, it happens on ebay all the time... I've been on there for 10+ years myself. I was more curious to know if this was indeed what people were basing their assumptions on or if they had some other far-fetched theory going..

Either way, with 10 separate bidders in good standing going above $10k alone I think there's more than enough basis to assume that this helmet did indeed sell at an extraordinarily high price ($10-12,000). But, yeah... we're talking about ebay here.

?

There's no Kelly blue book on German helmets. You and I both know in this hobby, a helmet is worth what one is willing to pay for.

Regards
    Samir

Quote by SSamir View Post
    There's no Kelly blue book on German helmets. You and I both know in this hobby a helmet is worth what one is willing to pay for.

Regards
    Samir
    That's exactly what I was trying to get at with my first post on this subject, hence my initial expression of light confusion at the somewhat overconfident assumptions re. actual selling price

This phenomenon is not exclusive to eBay. I'm sure many of you remember the Double Decal Heer that hit $18k a few months back on Klaus Butscheck's site.

Corey

Another thing to consider I feel is what I call "Sheep Syndrome".
    If enough bidders start to chase an item other's feel it must be good due to the interest and the bidding war starts.I've seen this happen many times on Ebay over the years.
    Some do think there is safety in numbers and in this case safety in bidders be it right or wrong.
    Just food for thought.
    Cheers
    Dave

?

Sorry boys been away for the past week working. (Got to pay for that wall somehow...)

The helmet in the eBay link I believe is the real deal. I was able to get better photos of it when it was online for auction and I personally liked it.

As for the helmet I know for fact the helmet did not sell for that price and I understand he was later trying to sell it for half that amount to others. To my knowledge he had no takers.

eBay has plenty of helmet buyers who play nasty games with each other and with sellers. I usually avoid eBay on helmets like the plague, it's a waste of time for me 99.9% of the time.

Good looking helmet to me, I see no issues with it from here.

Josh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast