Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Regimentals / DD Combat Police M35

Article about: I just had a look at Regimentals website. They have stopped putting prices on all of their helmets, some helmets are marked as 'price on request'. I was wondering what benefit this could hav

Default Re: Regimentals / DD Combat Police M35

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I don't usually comment on such things, it's not etiquette. But I do feel that I should clear up a few misconceptions over Regimentals.

I have personally known Malcolm, since 1972 (although he wouldn't admit it) He did then, and still does today, get some absolutely stunning pieces. Sure, now and again he'll get a duff piece, like everybody in this business does, BUT he will always take it back, no matter how long it's been. He takes a hammering on a lot of forums, unjustly in my opinion. The more successful you are, the more exposure you get, the more you're open to criticism. Know your stuff, and don't rely on anyone to convince you it's real, if you collect, and collect blindly, you'll get stung, I promise.

Everybody moans about prices. Funnily enough it's the collectors that set the prices, not the dealers, it's supply and demand. I could buy a nice single decal M40 with a great bird 18 months ago, for £400, and sell it for £450. Now that is only 12% profit, and when you're laying out that kind of money, it could take a while to re-coup it. But now, when you want to buy something from a collector, the prices are mad, which has in turn pushed the prices up so that helmet 18 months ago at £400 is nearer £650 now.

don't shoot the messenger. Look within to find why prices have increased so much. So many people I know collect for investment WRONG! Collect because you like it!

Off my soap box now
    Hi John, I definitely hear you on this. Please let me be the first to reverse the trend - "I'll take a double decal Fallschirmjager for $1000 please Alex" (just kidding!) Prices have gone wild. I collect because I love the connection with the history behind this stuff, but there are many more than we care to acknowledge who are "investing" in what has become for me an ever increasingly expensive hobby. I do not see that changing anytime soon, so I have resigned myself to the fact that soon I will have to sell an organ (or possibly my first born) to acquire those helmets that are on my wish list. Too bad I passed up so many "too expensive" pieces at flea markets and militaria shows back in the 80's and 90's. By the way, I have purchased a number of pieces from Malcolm over the years, both in the old shop in London and more recently over the net (including that small decal RLB I recently posted on the forum - less than $500 with s/h/i), and have never had a bad experience. I think he is a stand up guy. Cheers, Jim G.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Regimentals / DD Combat Police M35
    P
    Many

agreed i visited his shop bk in the early 90s and yes it was not cheap but you did know you were getting what you paid for!!!! sadly as has been previously pointed out overheads investments the prices collectors are prepared to pay all factor in on this equation ..

His prices only reflect what collectors are prepared to pay. If nobody was buying, his prices would drop. I didn't complain when I sold him an all-matching number Lewis-gun though. He gave me top-dollar for it!

Regimentals got back to me on this one.They gave me the price in dollars. $2500 without an XRF cert and $2750 with.

That about £1,757.96 with the cert then.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Regimentals got back to me on this one.They gave me the price in dollars. $2500 without an XRF cert and $2750 with.
    Way overpriced I have seen much nicer examples sell for much less. The XRF cert is a waste of money.

?

Threads over prices are like threads discussing religion, there will never be a consensus and you could take every thread ever started on pricing and they all read exactly the same.

John is right, it is simply supply and demand and how quick the cash is needed, not what you paid or think an item is worth.

That being said the helmet in question, in this condition, is in relatively easy supply and demand is mediocre so I agree with Franks assessment of the price and the certificate, it is plain what it is, no certificate is needed.

And so that being said, if a collector felt that it was of value to him and needed the cert to sleep at night then it is his money.

Back to pricing, I think every collector has overpaid for helmets and has gotten fantastic deals as well. Call it cost averaging if you will, but thats how I see it and approach collecting. When it is time to sell it matters not one whit what you spent, but what the item seems to carry now and how fast a sale is needed.

In other words just because you overpaid for a helmet doesnt mean someone else will because you need to sell it, or reverse that, just because you spotted a great buy doesnt mean you have to give the item away either so long as your being fair in my opinion.

In the end price is all relative and a subjective topic.

As for Regimentals never dealt with him and offer no comment.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    His prices only reflect what collectors are prepared to pay. If nobody was buying, his prices would drop.
    Harry, I doubt that...(especially with Malcolm Fisher) only recently I was talking to a dealer based in Stockport, I lamented at his high prices, and that he may struggle to achieve them in this economic climate, he replied "They will sit on the shelf until they do sell, which they will eventually" I got the impression they will probably go up in price not down during that time!

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    This is the wrong hobby for an unemployed guy. Iv'e had my fill of talking about helmets and looking at helmets and being annoyed that I can't really afford helmets. It's time for me to take a break from this.
    What a stupid thing to say. I can't take a bloody break. I'm hooked, bigtime

Quote by DougB View Post
    Threads over prices are like threads discussing religion, there will never be a consensus and you could take every thread ever started on pricing and they all read exactly the same.

John is right, it is simply supply and demand and how quick the cash is needed, not what you paid or think an item is worth.

That being said the helmet in question, in this condition, is in relatively easy supply and demand is mediocre so I agree with Franks assessment of the price and the certificate, it is plain what it is, no certificate is needed.

And so that being said, if a collector felt that it was of value to him and needed the cert to sleep at night then it is his money.

Back to pricing, I think every collector has overpaid for helmets and has gotten fantastic deals as well. Call it cost averaging if you will, but thats how I see it and approach collecting. When it is time to sell it matters not one whit what you spent, but what the item seems to carry now and how fast a sale is needed.

In other words just because you overpaid for a helmet doesnt mean someone else will because you need to sell it, or reverse that, just because you spotted a great buy doesnt mean you have to give the item away either so long as your being fair in my opinion.

In the end price is all relative and a subjective topic.

As for Regimentals never dealt with him and offer no comment.
    Very profound Doug

I tried to say that, but didn't quite make it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast