Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reissue M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - Paint opinion needed!

Article about: Hello all. This is my latest addition to my collection, reissued M35 Luftwaffe helmet . I was wondering if the paint is factory added or battle field applied? That`s why I need your help aga

That's a great looking field/depot reissue. A minor point, is it me or does the rear split pin look pretty mangled?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reissue M35 Luftwaffe Helmet - Paint opinion needed!
    P
    Many

Nice helmet fella. I'd say factory but could have been weathered in combat, or an extra lashing has been put on the helmet in the field, but either way, it's a lovely helmet I'd love to have!

Ves
    ?

Thank you all for the comments, I really appreciate it.

what does this mean "reissued" ?

Nice re-issue with field applied rough paint & re-decaled.

Cessna - Older, worn helmets were removed from service. If the shell and liner were in good shape they were cleaned up and repainted. The standards for combat helmets changed over time and the national shield had to be removed and the shell painted in a dull, textured paint. Liners and chin straps would be replaced if needed. A single decal for branch of service might have been preserved (painted around) or replaced. Later in the war the decals were omitted. So, a helmet with a history that had been cleaned up and reworked was issued again to an individual soldier. We use the term reissued. NH

That's a nice helmet. I thinks it has had a field applied repaint at some point. The paint supplied in the field was very thick and usually brushed on. That's consistent with what we can see in this helmet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2