Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Removing a fake decal to save a good lid.

Article about: Hey guys, I don't think this question belongs in the restoration forum but move it if it fits better elsewhere, OK? Anyway, does anyone know the best way to remove a fake decal from an other

Default Removing a fake decal to save a good lid.

Hey guys, I don't think this question belongs in the restoration forum but move it if it fits better elsewhere, OK?

Anyway, does anyone know the best way to remove a fake decal from an otherwise good helmet? Is it best to cover it with wet paper and soften it and the glue ( if it is a water slide one - and they usually are ) or what else? Could a steamer like used for wallpaper be the go?

I'm asking because I want to remove the round bottom fake SS decal off that Danish resistance M40 relic I posted a while back coz it bugs the hell outa me! .... and I know others have bought lids that are good but with crappo decals.

Any bright ideas???

Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing a fake decal to save a good lid.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Removing a fake decal to save a good lid.

Try warm/hot water first on a sponge, or try a steamer as you suggested, a kettle might do. You could also try using a hair dryer to soften the glue as this works on removing unwanted stickers on m/cycles.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I found hot soapy water.gets them off, on a rag is better!?!

?

Good idea to remove it. Maybe lemon juice will help? What is your relation to Denmark, or have i asked you this before? I'm Danish myself.

Regards, Lars

?

I have found that a wallpaper steamer can be too harsh and covers a larger area than just the decal, use the kettle method, but before doing this gently scratch the decal surface but dont go deep into the underlying paint, the plastic membrane used on these fake decals should bubble or even start to shrink slightly and will eventually begin to slide away, but sometimes someone may have added a clear varnish to the decal, to remove this you can try using a Q TIP dipped in acetone and apply it to the decal surface

This was the fake I meant - looks good but now I know it is a fake I want it OFF!

Thanks for the tips - I'll let you know how I go with it.

No Lars, no connection to Denmark - it's just my first name and another related one that just coincidently makes Danmark..... never thought about it till after I registered.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Removing a fake decal to save a good lid.  

?

Well it looks to have been heavily aged and treated, it may prove more difficult to remove but try the methods outlined and see what happens

Sorry to dig this thread up, but how did the removal process go? I too have a helmet I'd like to take the decals off of, but like the helmet posted, they are older decals, and are really on there well.

Strike me that was a long time ago. The result was posted, I think I used thinner carefully and it came off.
    The helmet was still in doubt as a genuine Holger Dansk helmet so it got packed away.
    I don't like "maybes" in my collection.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "