Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ruined m35

Article about: Picked this lot up recently for \\$85. Was this helmet reissued to some different country? the antique store man said it was probably issued to the youth, due to it's size but I have my doubts

?

Default Ruined m35

Picked this lot up recently for $85. Was this helmet reissued to some different country? the antique store man said it was probably issued to the youth, due to it's size but I have my doubts. It is interesting that this liner has two different bales and the (postwar?)chinstrap is riveted on. Should I take the liner off? it's been off before and is missing the washers. The barrel has it's own thread here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...barrel-329525/
    Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35Ruined m35

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ruined m35
    P
    Many

?

twas probably repainted postwar... =(

The bale on the wearer's left is a replacement I think. Sometimes you find mixed bale types but this liner band is too early, being single banded aluminium. Strap is not German wartime issue. The helmet itself looks to have been reissued to a fire service postwar, possibly Czech. The liner looks good and most of the value is in there, for $85 you did well for parts.

Edit: In fact I would put decent money on the left bale being from a Czech M53 helmet.

I'd take the black paint off and see what lies underneath, but that's just me...

?

I did take small specks off, looks like they bead blasted it and repainted it! =( however there are some small blots of wartime paint here and there...

If it was used post war and painted black, than it has historical value, just not a lot.

?

Turns out the the barrel is a Browning Automatic Rifle barrel! 1918 marked too!

?

I looked at at the liner size, it's a size 60 nA / 53.

That would make a nice restoration project...I wouldn't consider it ruined at all and you got a good deal as well...
    cheers, Glenn

Agree with all the above Czek fire dept. I doubt if you will find much original Fieldgrau underneath most of these foreign used helmets after the war are stripped and blasted pretty good before repainting thats been my experience trying to strip them with the exception of some of the early Norweign reworks you did good on price and it is a good restoration project. I am curious who made the helmet? there should be a maker stamped in skirt on side like ET, Q, NS EF SE etc with a size like 62 64. I can't see from the pictures and sometimes the post war paint covers it up. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast