Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SE64 M35 Bailing Wire

Article about: Hi guys, This is an M35 SE64 with single bailing wire. The lot number is 479. The reinforced aluminum liner band is dated 1938. The liner is size 57 but unfortunately in very bad condition.

yes..why not wear to the wire.
    Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    For me I would like to see close up of where the wire is hitting the helmet.i am hope to see honest wear ex. Moment of wire going side to side from daily usage, moment when foliage was added.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SE64 M35 Bailing Wire
    P
    Many

I have a feeling,that the wire was not charged and no helmets were worn

Where the wire goes under the rim and the ends of the wire where it is cut would be good too mate.

A nice helmet maybe. But that wire could have been added at almost any time. From the pictures supplied there is no evidence of contact wear to the helmet.

Thanks, photos are en route! I didn't downsize them, so it may take a few moments to upload.

yes my helmet ...I dug out kurland 100PR ORIGINAL...
    Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice helmet maybe. But that wire could have been added at almost any time. From the pictures supplied there is no evidence of contact wear to the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SE64 M35 Bailing Wire  

Should have added these photos in the beginning. Note the wire does not make contact with the helmet except in certain areas, in the photos you can see the wear in these areas. Also note the vertical lines left over from where objects have been slid under the wire. The wire is tight and pretty much cemented to the helmet on the skirt as expected. The tool marks made while bending the wire are also very old. New tool marks would remove the rust on the wire and expose shiny metal. There are no traces of modern tool marks on the wire. Just click on the photos to make them larger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SE64 M35 Bailing Wire   SE64 M35 Bailing Wire  

SE64 M35 Bailing Wire   SE64 M35 Bailing Wire  

now can see that at the ok.super
    Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Should have added these photos in the beginning. Note the wire does not make contact with the helmet except in certain areas, in the photos you can see the wear in these areas. Also note the vertical lines left over from where objects have been slid under the wire. The wire is tight and pretty much cemented to the helmet on the skirt as expected. The tool marks made while bending the wire are also very old. New tool marks would remove the rust on the wire and expose shiny metal. There are no traces of modern tool marks on the wire. Just click on the photos to make them larger.

Some of the rubbing of the paintwork is at odds with the actual position of the wire. I still remain unconvinced, but then again - it may look different again when actually being held.

An interesting helmet. As for rust not being under the wire, this does raise some flags for me. True, rust will be on bare metal, but it would also come from the wire Itself and seriously stain the paint of what it is sitting on-as you can see in several spots. And, speaking of the rust on the wire, that is another flag. I am somewhat concerned about the amount of Red rust showing. After 70 years or more, it is surprising to see it still showing as bright red. I would be very cautious of this helmet. A shame that the leather liner has very extensive red rot. Unfortunately, there is no way to stop it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast