Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)

Article about: So found this in Normandy France when I was out there. I don't know a lot about German helmets (more into my tanks and weapons), but from what I know its a M1940? makes stamp ET64 and lot 38

LtKillerSAS
    ?

Default Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)

So found this in Normandy France when I was out there. I don't know a lot about German helmets (more into my tanks and weapons), but from what I know its a M1940? makes stamp ET64 and lot 3804. I have included some pics for you all. I am kinda confused by the paint. It looks as if it has 3ish layers of different paint. the base colour which can still semi be seen on the inside and on the thumb wear mark on the front. (love the fact it has a thumb wear mark think it adds something to it as well as the crack through the top part of the helmet.) this crack from the inside you can see through it adding to my mystery of the paint as this leads me to believe the paint was on the helmet when this occurred other wise if it was resprayed you would not be able to see through it.

Some general info about it and your opinions would be much appreciated. Also is there anyway to know where the helmet went (division/ regiment) based on the lot number?

Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)Some general help and info on this helmet. New to this game :)

2. # ADS

Welcome to the forum.

It is an m40 and it looks a lot like postwar paint to me. I have never seen wartime paintwork that looks like that.

+1 to what douglas said.
    Post war painted over rust pits.
    A relic M40 spruced up with a "3 color cammo" for the tourists.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

What do you guys think of the air vents? They look weird to me... Almost looks like they melted.

Quote by Reich View Post
    What do you guys think of the air vents? They look weird to me... Almost looks like they melted.
    Very rusty, a relic lid pimped with a camo post war over the rust as already stated. If cheap its OK, but a messed with example not wanted by most collectors, but it would be alright for a starter display perhaps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Reich View Post
    Just the angle of the pics IMHO. Plus the artificial wear around them makes them look sunken into the helmet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you are on a limited budget, then it is OK - and it could be improved and made more presentable with a decent re-paint. Everyone has to start somewhere with their collection.

Hello and welcome to the forum, the chaps have said it all on this poor old relic shell, someone has attempted to fake a Normandy cammo scheme and artificially age it. Apart from the paint being over the top of rust pitting, they have sprayed inside the shell as well. I have never seen that on a genuine three tone cammo before! Also the wear on the outside is a big red flag as it has all the signs of intentional "tool marks" (repetitive scratches/scrapes) that are all the same size/depth. Leon.

LtKillerSAS
    ?

Cool thanks guys! Ya was able to pick it up cheap in the end as it was just a local farmer in a small village. Ended up asking if he would be willing to sell it, and he was. I thought the paint was a bit strange myself. However the price was right and despite the paint it is a real M40(best of my knowledge, seen a few repos and you can just tell) which for me is more important as it does have history. Maybe latter down the line I will get myself a full original. or should I say when I get a bigger budget as I know these days its hard so find something under what 450-500 EUR and I think even thats on the low end of things. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote by LtKillerSAS View Post
    Cool thanks guys! Ya was able to pick it up cheap in the end as it was just a local farmer in a small village. Ended up asking if he would be willing to sell it, and he was. I thought the paint was a bit strange myself. However the price was right and despite the paint it is a real M40(best of my knowledge, seen a few repos and you can just tell) which for me is more important as it does have history. Maybe latter down the line I will get myself a full original. or should I say when I get a bigger budget as I know these days its hard so find something under what 450-500 EUR and I think even thats on the low end of things. Correct me if I am wrong.
    You can find a very decent and complete M42 without decal for 400-450 euros. Don't know what you paid for this but personally I would have put this money aside and save up for a good example instead. You'll see lots of decent examples here on the classifieds.
    But I know in the heat of the moment and you are on one of Europe's biggest battlefields ...