Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some questions about an M42 camo

Article about: First of all, if this looks familiar, it's because I posted it on another forum before I discovered this one. I apologize in advance if that is a breach of etiquette, but there wasn't a lot

?

Default Some questions about an M42 camo

First of all, if this looks familiar, it's because I posted it on another forum before I discovered this one. I apologize in advance if that is a breach of etiquette, but there wasn't a lot of interest there, so I decided to post here to see if I can get some more opinions.

I bought this recently from a sort of second hand store for $40. At first, I thought it was a modern repaint of an M42, but after doing some research, I believe it to be an original camouflage overpaint. It's a ckl64, batch number 3193.

Some questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camoSome questions about an M42 camo

What do you guys think? Is it original camo paint? It seems to match most of the good camouflage overpaints I've seen. Also, if genuine, what do you think the value would be? I don't want to sell the helmet, but I like to know the value for my records, and I've not really seen much in this exact condition with which to compare (most are either in better or worse condition).

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some questions about an M42 camo
    P
    Many

From what I see I can not tell that it's a camo. It was not cared for , bad liner rot. This may be a true "barn find". Worth what you paid. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Hello Erno,
    It's hard to say..
    Most of the over painted lids I've seen don't have any paint on the inner skirt. Keep in mind, I did say "most" of the ones "I've seen". That doesn't necessarily mean this one isn't good. I have seen good originals with paint under the inner skirt before.Also, the paint appears to have been brushed on. The wear of the paint looks pretty uniform to the original coat which is a good sign, IMO . I hope this helped a little.
    Best,
    Dean

Appears to stand a chance and the price you paid was pretty good IMHO. Is that the faintest trace of a decal under the paint? Best left alone even if it is as digging out decals is frowned upon these days and would devalue the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some questions about an M42 camo  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks honest to me!...

The green sorta reminds me of the color of postwar M1 helmets. Any chance it could have been painted many years ago, but post WW2? Definitely original helmet and liner... and the paint could be original too, just seems a little light green from what I am used to seeing (that really means nothing!). That being said the paint has been there a good long time, and I wouldn't mess with it. For 40 bones no one can say you didn't get a steal though!

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    The green sorta reminds me of the color of postwar M1 helmets. Any chance it could have been painted many years ago, but post WW2? Definitely original helmet and liner... and the paint could be original too, just seems a little light green from what I am used to seeing (that really means nothing!). That being said the paint has been there a good long time, and I wouldn't mess with it. For 40 bones no one can say you didn't get a steal though!
    I was just thinking the paint had faded!...

Hi Erno , I have to admit that this looks to be a post war over paint to me. The shade of green seems a bit off and as Nathan pointed out it is very similar to the post war M1 shade. Also as the over paint is all one colour(as the brown looks to be rust) it is not really a cammo as such unless the helmet is a Luftwaffe blue but I cannot tell from these pictures. It certainly was done some time ago but all in all I do not think this is period cammo. Leon.

?

Thank you all for the input! The paint is definitely old, but as stated, could certainly be postwar, although it doesn't really match the color of an M1 helmet. It's a bit lighter than it looks in the photos. I'd describe it as a pea green, almost identical to one being offered on the Collector's Guild as a camo.

The Collector's Guild

(This is the one that convinced me that mine may be an original wartime camouflage as well)

To clarify, there are three 'layers': the first is the original metal, which can be seen on the inside beneath the liner. The second is a dark slate grey, which is what you see where the alphanumeric codes are stamped. Finally, the outer pea green color is on the outside only. It doesn't seem to be on the underside at all. Sorry for not explaining more clearly in the original post.

?

You need to take photos of it without all the shadows and without the direct sunlight. Otherwise we might as well have our eyes closed to be honest. ITs just guessing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast