Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Helmet found at local auction Opinions please!!

Article about: About a year ago, I attended a local auction and purchased the helmet in the pictures. I would be most greatfull for any opinions or comments regarding both the helmet, its originality and t

Default Re: SS Helmet found at local auction Opinions please!!

This one is just.......bad. Bad bad bad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!
    P
    Many

Well, So many responses and so quick!! No, I did not pay a lot for it but I would have been a happy bunny had it been right. Aw well spoil my day, why not. Thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond and thanks also for all the information. With thanks,regards and best wishes Michael R

Best to know than not mate, sorry it was a stinker.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Well, So many responses and so quick!! No, I did not pay a lot for it but I would have been a happy bunny had it been right. Aw well spoil my day, why not. Thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond and thanks also for all the information. With thanks,regards and best wishes Michael R
    Welcome to the forum Michael,depending on the time of day(anywhere in the world!)you will find we are quick to help as soon as possible here! You are in the right place to find good people who have only learning and assistance at heart. I hope you find the real SS lid your looking for,but if you are going to spend big bucks,post it here first if possible for review, all the best, Leon.

Hi Michael,
    We were not trying to be harsh for the sake of it and I ( personally ) know what a let down negative comments can be on an item one thought to be good but all that has been said I concur with. Some of the other glaring errors are....
    1) Poorly rolled rim - ALL the ww2 makers had a very uniform rim rolling process.
    2) chinstrap bales are completely the wrong shape if you search for other helmets and compare
    3) the vent shape and overall helmet shape as has been previously mentioned.
    Attention has been drawn away from these by the contrived damage etc.... but in future look for identifying marks and not the "glitter" of decals or damage ..... this is how the fakers try to fool an unsuspecting collector.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!
    The more i look at this the more convinced it's a messed with Bulgarian lid, if you look closely at the top of the "ss" lid you can see what looks like the remains of the Bulgarian dome ridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2