Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!

Article about: Any help appreciated. Picked this up for \\$50 and no idea around authenticity. Thanks.

Default SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!

SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!

Any help appreciated. Picked this up for $50 and no idea around authenticity. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet (Genuine or Fake?)... Any info appreciated... Thanks!
    P
    Many

Hi, sorry to say, but those are not original SS decals by ET ( or any other maker for that ). As for the helmet itself, i will leave that to others as i only ever really look at M35/M40 or M42's. Leon.

Thanks for the response. I thought the decals looked a bit off. Interested to know more about the helmet as it is in good shape. M16 I believe but would be good to know if this this is a good example.

Shame about the decals but an absolute steal at $50 ! regards Paul

Thanks Paul. I bought a box of bric a brac and this was in the bottom of the box. No idea on value either....

Quote by insaltwater View Post
    Thanks for the response. I thought the decals looked a bit off. Interested to know more about the helmet as it is in good shape. M16 I believe but would be good to know if this this is a good example.
    I am pretty sure the helmet itself is a good one, just not my area those WW1 lids! The decals may "steam off" if your lucky leaving no trace. Leon.

Hi there, only M16's had a leather liner band. After 16 the m17/18 utilised a steel liner band while in service during WW1. The non-stepped air vent lugs for the brow plate indicate that this is a size 66 or 68 shell. This is confirmed by the size stamp just inside the shell in the first photo making this a 66. Not sure about the maker but the B might indicate Bell (hoping others can confirm).

The original green paint in showing under the edges of the pins indicating that this may be relevantly recent (i.e. post 1950 re-paint. However, the paint does look old and shows patina though and this I find quite intriguing.

Overall a messed with but interesting helmet. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Your decal and an ET for comparison.
    Possibly the decal could be removed (carefully)?

Nick

Looking at the bottom right of the runic shield it almost appears that there was/is another decal underneath the fake or perhaps that is just residue from when it was slid into position.

Thanks guys, pretty obvious difference now I look at those decals. Not sure how I would go about removing them without wrecking the paint underneath. Looking at the helmet, I actually don't see any green paint, that might just be the photo. Is it worth keeping as a reasonable example or should I sell it on? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast