Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Helmet Help

Article about: Hey guys, I have the opportunity to make an offer on this helmet. Can anyone verify it and what it might be worth. Others you don't do SS stuff but I've always wanted one but they all seem t

Default SS Helmet Help

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to make an offer on this helmet. Can anyone verify it and what it might be worth. Others you don't do SS stuff but I've always wanted one but they all seem to be fakes. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Helmet Help   SS Helmet Help  

SS Helmet Help   SS Helmet Help  

SS Helmet Help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet Help
    P
    Many

You don't want this one. It's no good. Repainted relic shell.

How can you tell? I'm just curious as I look through these what things you see that stand out.

You can see pitting to the metal of the helmet shell looks like it was a semi relic helmet that has been repainted and tarted up

The bottoms of runes are above the break, so it is a one look fake Pocher wannabe decal. There are myriad other graphic issues with the decal as well. In addition, it is a ckl M42 shell so the decal should be an ET type, NOT a Pocher style decal. The composition of the decal is bad, and it is heavily scrubbed in an effort to give it age. That is just the decal, others can pick up where I left off with a discussion of the shell, the paint, the name, the use of an unreinforced aluminum banded M31 liner - it goes on and on....

?

I was suspicious as soon as I saw "S.S." painted inside. I know that it doesn't automatically mean that it's fake, but with the amount of fakes going around, it instantly made me think that perhaps someone is trying to fool us.

You can of course play mind games with just about anything, but I'm just sharing my two cents.

As said, incorrect decal to shell maker. A non starter. Leon.

Thank you for your input. I feel like I have learned something valuable. I really wish I could handle some good examples and get a better feel for them. Is there a book anyone could recommend that would be more helpful to study?