Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Ss m40 dd

Article about: Dear all, Any thoughts on this SS DD which I am giving some consideration to. Any advice very much appreciated. Johan

?

Default Ss m40 dd

Dear all,

Any thoughts on this SS DD which I am giving some consideration to. Any advice very much appreciated.

Johan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss m40 dd   Ss m40 dd  

Ss m40 dd   Ss m40 dd  

Ss m40 dd   Ss m40 dd  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss m40 dd
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. On my small cell phone now, but from what I can see, it looks ok. Wait for others...or until I can get on a bigger screen...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Welcome to the forum, it appears to be a good "Pocher" type double decal M35 from here. Leon.

M38
    ?

I've had my eye on that helmet for a while. It is a real one in my opinion, from what I can see. It is an M35 however and a war time repaint. It looks to me like it was a DD SS from the factory, over painted in that dark gray color with the party shield covered and a Pocher SS decal added on the right side. It appears that the over paint has flaked off the party shield revealing what you see now. But all in all an original legitimate piece I think and not such a bad price. You don't see a lot of SS reissues or repaints.

Cheers,
    Terry

?

Thank you guys, very good of you to give some guidance.

Regarding it being a model 35 or 40 I thought it was a M40 so being a double decal almost certainly produced in 1940. Are we thinking it was factory produced and overprinted much later in the war or soon after production?

Johan

Quote by JohanF View Post
    Thank you guys, very good of you to give some guidance.

Regarding it being a model 35 or 40 I thought it was a M40 so being a double decal almost certainly produced in 1940. Are we thinking it was factory produced and overprinted much later in the war or soon after production?

Johan
    Hi Johan, it is un-questionably an M35, the air vent is clearly distinctly separate from the main shell as opposed to "pressed" in the steel. The over paint would be from the mid war period in my opinion. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Johan, it is un-questionably an M35, the air vent is clearly distinctly separate from the main shell as opposed to "pressed" in the steel. The over paint would be from the mid war period in my opinion. Leon.
    Thank a lot guys for all your guidance here..
    Very very good of you

It's odd the over paint is only present on the party shield. Someone has tried to scratch the shield off, then painted over with the grey/green paint. Maybe the whole helmet over painted (perhaps post war) and more recently the top layer has been stripped off to reveal the factory original?

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's odd the over paint is only present on the party shield. Someone has tried to scratch the shield off, then painted over with the grey/green paint. Maybe the whole helmet over painted (perhaps post war) and more recently the top layer has been stripped off to reveal the factory original?
    I have looked at the party decal, Im certainly not saying you are wrong, I was of the opinion it could have worn badly due to the paint over the top. What is it that gives you the thought someone has scratched at it? If they did they didn't do a great job! With regard The overpaint, could this not have been the original factory paint? Are we pretty agreed another layer of grey was painted over the initial apple green coat? Tbh I was of the opinion (until I requested some views on the forum) that the green/grey paint across the helmet was the first and only layer, with a small amount of extra green paint hand applied to cover the decal as per regulations. Any thoughts?