Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm Heer m40?

Article about: hello everybody I bought this helmet from a german guy. He told me his father put it in the roof and when his father died he wanted to put a new roof and found the piece. whatever the story

Default Stahlhelm Heer m40?

hello everybody

I bought this helmet from a german guy. He told me his father put it in the roof and when his father died he wanted to put a new roof and found the piece. whatever the story is i dont take 2 much stories. but it looks the helmet is fair .

another opinion is welcome!!
    inside there is marked Q(quist) 62 but difficult to see
    is it possible these helmets were for children, it doesn't fit my head but my cousin from 6years old perfectly
    cant imagine it different???

I also have a question about the decal. It seems that its wasting away. what can i do to stop this. And is it doomed to waste away?

i paid 280euro for it +/- 240 dollar.
    (from germaniateutonia site = german )

many thanks for the feedback its appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm Heer m40?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stahlhelm Heer m40?

You paid 280 euros for that ??? Really ?
    You didn't wonder why there is a single alu liner in an M40 shell and why it is so crooked ? I would send it back quickly.

For your information 62 helmets were for adults in that period. The standard size being 64. Head sizes were smaller back then because people didn't eat power food like we have today and had more exercise.

The shell is original, but I think the liner and band are not original to the helmet. It is hard to judge paint and decal unless more detailed pictures are provided. Quist helmets are my personal favorite! As for the decal, I don't think there is much you can do to help it. It is probably best to just leave it be.

Regards, Corey

+1 man, send it back. The liner band is from a much earlier helmet, pre war. The shell itself is very rusty, and not worth very much. For that money or maybe a little more you could get something nice and original, I'd take a DD M34 police over this one any day.

thanks guys, the seller is 100procent sure its a full authentic helmet. I appreciate youre comments!! and indeed 100euro more and i have the originality it self... but it was to strong to let it go
    I learned a lot today
    thanks for that
    grt
    kim

Kim,
    When a helmet is in that sort of condition, the liner and band needs to match as far as age is concerned. Watch for these things ...
    1) With that degree of surface corrosion there should be worn, dried leather and dirt / grime wedged in between the liner band and shell ( you should see evidence of this ) If after 60 years there is none then the band has surely been swapped out.
    2) Look also at the securing rivets to see if they have been bent twice ( opened, removed, replaced and re-bent ) if so, then it's a replacement liner.
    3) Liner bands ( especially alloy ones ) are only bent like that if they have been pulled out. General wear will push them out towards the helmet shell but never buckle them like this one is.

Sorry you bought a lemon but watch out next time!
    Dan