Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890

Article about: Things tend to come in bunches for me...so in addition to my camo cover I also picked up a nice Sudfront camo. First picture is with a few of it's camo friends.... If you look closely there

MAP
    ?

Default Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890

Things tend to come in bunches for me...so in addition to my camo cover I also picked up a nice Sudfront camo. First picture is with a few of it's camo friends....

If you look closely there are actually 3 coats of paint IMHO. 1st is a rough coat of green, topped by a light tan (probably not a pink DAK) and then finally a beautiful dark mustard tan with an awesome heavy patina.

The lid is a Heer M40 ET66 Lot # 4890.

Chinstrap complete but not marked. Liner intact, still pliable with the interior liner marked 147. Liner band is Werner Zahn, Berlin/Charlottenbeurg dated 1940. Liner pins untouched, marked "u.C. 40". Are some letters hidden? Liner is a bit loose but just due to age and wear. As said, the pins are untouched.

I do not think the decal has been dug out. Maybe but the wear patterns to me don't support this. I could be wrong and have provided close up pictures.

So in addition to the 2 or 3 layers of camo, the helmet also appears to be ex-wire or more likely ex-breadbag given wear patterns on the brim and sides where a "hook" would have been. Only conjecture but I think it stands a chance. Have included close ups of these as well.

Thanks to the seller on this one. Great to deal with. Don't think he is a member here though.

Love to hear your thoughts....

Regards,

Michael

Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890
    Last edited by MAP; 04-16-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Here some close up with a USB microscope. You can see the three layers of paint, deep brush strokes, heavy patina, close up of decal and wear patterns where I think there was a hook or something.

Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890Sudfront M40 Heer ET66, Lot #4890

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael, USB or not, that is a one looker Mediterranean cammo and that is certainly not a dug out decal, just "worn out"! A fantastic helmet mate, I'm chuffed for you. Maybe I will be so fortunate as to bag one like this one day, well done. Leon.

?

I have noticed That lead based paint will flake off decals over the years. Not all but some do.
    I have a double decal winter camo shell that the paint has completely flaked off both decals.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Steve/Leon!

Yes, at first glance most peoples reaction would be that the decal is dug but as you can see up close it does not appear to be. My gut says that it was caused by whatever was put on the helmet (breadbag, wire, hooks for netting, etc.) as there is similar markings on the other side. But who knows, maybe it was dug by the soldier or right after the war but I don't think the wear patterns supports this

But really, I don't care either way. It's an intact one looker with 3 (2?) coats of camo! So I'm sure this helmet travelled quite a bit. Too bad there is no name.

What I really like is the sharp "wear" line of the camo paint on the lower right skirt. Whatever type of "hook" was on there etched a nice clean line.

Thanks again!

Michael

MAP
    ?

Leon,

Will keep an eye out for one for you!

M

Great helmet and some really nice close up photos to boot.

I agree with the bread bag strap theory, the wear around the rim supports the idea IMO

Top helmet, well done in picking this one up and it (eventually) arriving

Chris

MAP
    ?

Thanks Chris,

It is a beauty. And as you know, Harry was top notch!

What I like about this helmet is the depth of the story behind it in addition to it's great condition (yes, liner looks bad but its not and paint looks dirty which happily it is ). Love that there are layers of different camo and plus the bread bag strap marks make it a top notch lid.

I was really holding back for a true DAK pink helmet but the more I looked at it and worked with Harry, it was easy to make the decision so I took the plunge. Couldn't be happier!

The close up pictures are so useful. And the USB microscopes pay for themselves over and over.

The helmet in your avatar look like my helmet in the first picture (almost). Mine however is a two color with the original feldgrau making up the third color.

Regards,

Michael

Well done M for this quality looking stahlhelm,plus all whats been written,congrats..........

I think I saw this one for sale a while ago, nice to see some detailed pictures of it!
    A stunner, Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast