Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

Article about: Big favor to ask guys. Sure some of you might be looking at this one. Any thoughts. I don't have a camo and the dealer level price seems fair compared to others in this condition. I'm sure i

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Eric,

Please explain why this is not WW2 German and why you don't like the DAK or tan camo, who cares what it's called.
    Doug
    For me in my opinion the camo paint isn't WW2 the colours are wrong and look like modern hobby paint, the Tan helmet is not DAK imo and is too expensive anyway.
    Michael asked for opinions because he was thinking of a purchase so I said keep looking, really if other members like them, say so. Why do I get grilled here when I am just offering an honest personal opinion?

Regards
    Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK
    P
    Many

?

This is what I see as DAK.

Eric

MAP
    ?

Thanks for your feedback Eric.

Everyone:

I did purchase the Camo. It comes (as Doug noted and I confirmed in speaking to the Dealer) with a very strong Vet provenance (and papers from the Vet) from a very reputable dealer. There is a matter of trust in everything we do and the dealer bought it directly from the family, so that gives me a lot of comfort.

Once I receive it I will post it again for everyone to see. That said, the dealer quality pictures will probably be much better than anything I could do (really need to invest in a nice camera). And finally with any reputable dealer it has a gty.

So all in all I'm pretty excited. It may not be what we call a Normandy (which was never my goal). This is a two color one - red and green over the fieldgrau paint, but it is vibrant which is what I was looking for and in solid condition.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Other shot and Allied Helmet there is a report the Germans also used British paint from overrun depots but haven't read it in over two years.

Regards
    Eric
    Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAKThoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Doug
    For me in my opinion the camo paint isn't WW2 the colours are wrong and look like modern hobby paint, the Tan helmet is not DAK imo and is too expensive anyway.
    Michael asked for opinions because he was thinking of a purchase so I said keep looking, really if other members like them, say so. Why do I get grilled here when I am just offering an honest personal opinion?

Regards
    Eric
    Eric, as explained a basic tenant here is not to merely blurt an opinion out merely because you can and walk away leaving others wondering why, but to back up your opinion with sound rationale, research, facts, and experience so others may learn. That concept appears to be foreign to you it seems, because you call it "grilling".

I call it sharing knowledge and learning, and advancing the hobby for the betterment of all.

After 300 posts perhaps it's time for you to belly up to the bar, and explain some of your drive-by posts.

You said earlier you, and I paraphrase here, "paint test all your helmets" but when asked to show "all your helmets" you said you barely had any and dont plan on buying any. When asked to give details on your paint testing methodology we got some drivel about a Q tip blog you couldn't remember.

Id also like to know why the "colors are all wrong"?

You've stated some expertise in model painting and paint techniques. So explain please. The first helmet in your opinion is a helmet painted with modern model paint, it doesn't "look German". It would be interested in knowing the secrets of paint testing and the instant visual identification of model paint in typically poor and usually tiny forum photos.

Re- the "DAK" even the OP said he didn't think it was one but was that the point? The first helmet isn't a "Normandy" by the accepted collector definition either. (For right or wrong). I don't think the OP was asking for classification, the OP was looking for some qualified opinions on the helmet being real, or not.

So, paint testing you do on your helmets, let's hear about it so we can learn the magic secrets of the Q tip. Perhaps you can show us one you've tested recently.

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    This is what I see as DAK.

Eric
    Eric this is just a tan helmet like the one posted by the OP. Could have been used almost any theater of war, from Greece to North Africa, the steppes of Russia to southern France.

DAK helmets are accepted to have a clear pinkish hue to the paint. Neither have this hue or shade of pink paint.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Eric this is just a tan helmet like the one posted by the OP. Could have been used almost any theater of war, from Greece to North Africa, the steppes of Russia to southern France.

DAK helmets are accepted to have a clear pinkish hue to the paint. Neither have this hue or shade of pink paint.
    Hi Doug,

The helmet shown is on display at the Australian Army Ordnance Museum at Bandiana (on the Victoria side of the NSW/Vic border), and is an Australian veteran bring back from
    north Africa, I think from memory the name of the soldier who bought it back is tagged beside it somewhere, the Australian steel helmet with the big hole in it is displayed
    close by the German helmet, and the soldier wearing it actually survived the hit, albeit with a fair ol' headache I would assume, they have a photo of the soldier with his
    damaged helmet on display next to that one.

Cheers

Bob

Just hunted through some old photos I took some time back when I was last up that way, and here are two further photos of the two helmets
    shown above, with a bit of history written about them....

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK   Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK  

just a bit further, the displays have been re-arranged since the first lot of pix taken, so that is why the tapestry in the background is no longer there !

Bob

Hi Michael, well done on buying the cammo helmet, I am sure you will find it all ok, especially as it has a good provenance from a respected dealer. My scepticism is just the usual result of not having it in hand but I do like the colours, they are spot on as period German shades. Also I think that they may have been applied using a rag/cloth or alike and not sprayed, but again under a loop that will show out better. Leon.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast