Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

Article about: Big favor to ask guys. Sure some of you might be looking at this one. Any thoughts. I don't have a camo and the dealer level price seems fair compared to others in this condition. I'm sure i

?

Quote by Bob Lyons View Post
    Hi Doug,

The helmet shown is on display at the Australian Army Ordnance Museum at Bandiana (on the Victoria side of the NSW/Vic border), and is an Australian veteran bring back from
    north Africa, I think from memory the name of the soldier who bought it back is tagged beside it somewhere, the Australian steel helmet with the big hole in it is displayed
    close by the German helmet, and the soldier wearing it actually survived the hit, albeit with a fair ol' headache I would assume, they have a photo of the soldier with his
    damaged helmet on display next to that one.

Cheers

Bob
    Hi Bob, for sure, and as I said that tan color can be used almost anywhere as Dimas said earlier, as I said from North Africa to Russia. It's a very compatible color. The same or similar color to the helmet the OP showed us. I certainly am not saying that the helmet Eric posted wasnt a DAK.

I think you'd agree the classic "DAK" collectors refer to is the pinkish color just like classic "Normandy" is tan base, brick red and green. So when someone says DAK I think pinkish tan. Not the orange/yellow tan as the pinkish tan is known as a DAK "only" color, while tan in various shades, is a common color the German army used in mulitple theaters of operations.

I know we're splitting hairs here over terminology but I don't see that big a difference between the Aussie one and the one MAP posted in color. Both are tan. One merely has provenance.

Cheers
    Doug

PS the guy survived the hit? A very lucky man!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK
    P
    Many

In agreeance with you Doug, and you might like to see my ol' DAK M40 again, with that more 'warm' yellow/tan, another north Africa veteran....

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK   Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK  

Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK  

?

In agreeance with you Doug, and you might like to see my ol' DAK M40 again, with that more 'warm' yellow/tan, another north Africa veteran....

Cheers

Bob
    Thats a classic Bob. Superb!!!

MAP
    ?

Cheers

Bob
    Sweet Bob. And your photography skills make it look even better.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael, well done on buying the cammo helmet, I am sure you will find it all ok, especially as it has a good provenance from a respected dealer. My scepticism is just the usual result of not having it in hand but I do like the colours, they are spot on as period German shades. Also I think that they may have been applied using a rag/cloth or alike and not sprayed, but again under a loop that will show out better. Leon.
    No problem Leon, healthy criticism is important and why this is such a great place to learn...it even changed your views....LoL...just kidding.

Thanks for you insight. I have it on a payment plan as there are a few other large purchases I'm working on at the moment so I won't receive it till march, but I will test some of your (and others) observations on it once in hand....

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Wonderful example Bob !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by MAP View Post
    No problem Leon, healthy criticism is important and why this is such a great place to learn...it even changed your views....LoL...just kidding.

Thanks for you insight. I have it on a payment plan as there are a few other large purchases I'm working on at the moment so I won't receive it till march, but I will test some of your (and others) observations on it once in hand....

Michael
    Hi Michael, I'm always happy to be wrong and admit it, especially if it means someone gets something nice to add to their collection! I bet when you get it in hand all those little "tell tales" I was looking for will stick out like a sore thumb, well done on trusting your own instincts and knowledge. As you say quite rightly, differing views are very important rather than just following the "pigeon" mentality of safety in the crowd. And as Doug said earlier, that also entails giving some thought out reasons for that opinion and not just saying good or bad with cheap throw away comments with no basis! Leon.

M38
    ?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Bob, for sure, and as I said that tan color can be used almost anywhere as Dimas said earlier, as I said from North Africa to Russia. It's a very compatible color. .......the pinkish tan is known as a DAK "only" color, while tan in various shades, is a common color the German army used in mulitple theaters of operations.

Cheers
    Doug

A bit surprised to hear that statement from you Doug in view of the recent mind numbing thread elsewhere! Anyway, I like both of the helmets on Ken's site that were presented here. Ken knows his stuff, which is only part of the equation of course, but I think I'd be happy owning either and the prices are fair I believe. Michael, I think you picked the better of the two examples, and that comes from a guy whose favorite is DAK camos!

Cheers,
    Terry

MAP
    ?

Quote by M38 View Post
    A bit surprised to hear that statement from you Doug in view of the recent mind numbing thread elsewhere! Anyway, I like both of the helmets on Ken's site that were presented here. Ken knows his stuff, which is only part of the equation of course, but I think I'd be happy owning either and the prices are fair I believe. Michael, I think you picked the better of the two examples, and that comes from a guy whose favorite is DAK camos!

Cheers,
    Terry
    Thanks Terry. I agree. I like the Camo better of the two myself. The Camo fills one hole but a nice DAK is another known hole I must fill. Hopefully this year.

So if anyone see's a nice one and isn't interested themselves, just send me a PM. A bottle of nice scotch (or other preferred drink) is the prize if I purchase it!!!!

That said, I really think this whole helmet collecting is a scam. Every time I fill one of those "holes" I notice that one or two others pop up that I wasn't aware of. LoL..just kidding of course...I like filling these holes. 2 or years ago I think I had one or two legit German lids. Now I'm over 15 (and well over 30+ including all countries.)

Boy I love this hobby!

?

Quote by M38 View Post

Cheers,
    Terry

Good one Terry! Yes, but I did not say they were factory built in Cz now did I!

Tan was widely used in all theaters of war, even as the base coat in Normandy pattern camos (there I go again with collector terminology).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast