Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

Article about: Big favor to ask guys. Sure some of you might be looking at this one. Any thoughts. I don't have a camo and the dealer level price seems fair compared to others in this condition. I'm sure i

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael, I'm always happy to be wrong and admit it, especially if it means someone gets something nice to add to their collection! I bet when you get it in hand all those little "tell tales" I was looking for will stick out like a sore thumb, well done on trusting your own instincts and knowledge. As you say quite rightly, differing views are very important rather than just following the "pigeon" mentality of safety in the crowd. And as Doug said earlier, that also entails giving some thought out reasons for that opinion and not just saying good or bad with cheap throw away comments with no basis! Leon.
    Thanks Leon, that is what makes this forum a good place for me, if people have an opinion it is expected they discuss it in a rational manner and not leave people scratching their head. There are a lot of newer collectors here I find as well, so good information here is critical for new collectors to learn from.

If I had a nickel for everytime I thought incorrectly about a helmet or a theory I wouldn't need my day job and its always ok to be wrong so long as one doesn't get entrenched into a viewpoint despite the facts. Its good to keep an open mind, as Terry (M38) will attest.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK
    P
    Many

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Eric this is just a tan helmet like the one posted by the OP. Could have been used almost any theater of war, from Greece to North Africa, the steppes of Russia to southern France.

DAK helmets are accepted to have a clear pinkish hue to the paint. Neither have this hue or shade of pink paint.
    Doug
    I think what we have is a simple problem collectors have in their own mind what they want to see before they offer an opinion. Interesting on the Russian Steppes comment. btw a lot of 'pinkish hue' was Western Front so we could call it Verkaufsbezeichnung Heereszeugamt and round it up...you agree?

Eric

?

This is a shot of what some may call wrongly, DAK. Actually its postwar ord. tan for me.

Eric
    Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

?

Attachment 790915

Eric, I'm out..... I cant deal conversing with you any longer sorry or even expecting an answer on your unfettered opinions and bold statements. Enjoy your paint testing. Don't run out of Qtips.

------

Enjoy the camo Mike.
    Last edited by DougB; 01-17-2015 at 11:33 PM.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    ..So, paint testing you do on your helmets, let's hear about it so we can learn the magic secrets of the Q tip. Perhaps you can show us one you've tested recently.
    Really Doug its been a stalwart for decades:

A cotton swab and water should suffice.
    If the colours do not come off, they are, quite simply, model hobby paint regarding greens, reds and white.
    If the colour is correct but if it is a permanent enamel, it is certainly post-war furthermore original paint greens,reds and white have a tendency to turn chalky and flake because they are water based. If you have an original spray it with a product such as dul-cote it will fix the finish and leave no trace.

Something else on period whites modern paint shows under UV light original does not on paints I've tested,,,so far that includes Imperial W1 you should observe white without any glow whatsoever this is handy on id'd painted helmets but on-going for me.

The official orders concerning the red-brown, dark green and white camouflage paints indicates very clearly that they are temporary, water-based paints.

Have a nice weekend
    Eric

?

>>Really Doug its been a stalwart for decades:<<

A cotton swab and water should suffice.
    If the colours do not come off, they are, quite simply, model hobby paint regarding greens, reds and white.
    If the colour is correct but if it is a permanent enamel, it is certainly post-war furthermore original paint greens,reds and white have a tendency to turn chalky and flake because they are water based. If you have an original spray it with a product such as dul-cote it will fix the finish and leave no trace.

Something else on period whites modern paint shows under UV light original does not on paints I've tested,,,so far that includes Imperial W1 you should observe white without any glow whatsoever this is handy on id'd painted helmets but on-going for me.

The official orders concerning the red-brown, dark green and white camouflage paints indicates very clearly that they are temporary, water-based paints.

Have a nice weekend
    Eric
    UV is well known.
    Water soluble whitewash as well.

The rest Eric....well like I said, I am done discussing anything with you at this point. I don't need the migraine. Welcome to my Ignore List. I would prefer to enjoy the forum than read your constant drive-by posts and model paint theories. Its beyond annoying.

Again enjoy your Qtips....

Attachment 791073

MAP, I will enjoy seeing the "model paint" vet provenance helmet in an upcoming post.

MAP
    ?

Doug,

I will post it here for all to see. It's like waiting for Christmas morning but in March. But maybe I will just dip into my secret reserve and pay it off early

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Doug,

I will post it here for all to see. It's like waiting for Christmas morning but in March. But maybe I will just dip into my secret reserve and pay it off early

Michael
    Hand over the cash, you know you want to!!! Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK 

Quote by DougB View Post
    >>Really Doug its been a stalwart for decades:<<

UV is well known.
    Water soluble whitewash as well.

The rest Eric....well like I said, I am done discussing anything with you at this point. I don't need the migraine. Welcome to my Ignore List. I would prefer to enjoy the forum than read your constant drive-by posts and model paint theories. Its beyond annoying.

Again enjoy your Qtips....

Attachment 791073

MAP, I will enjoy seeing the "model paint" vet provenance helmet in an upcoming post.

Old Hoss has found another forum to troll on.
    Get a life or start collecting helmets for real Hossy.
    Your input here is pointless.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hand over the cash, you know you want to!!! Leon.
    Your not helping Leon!!

My wife was right about you guys. A bunch of pushers and bad seeds
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast