Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

Article about: There is a seller on Ebay with loads of dug helmets. Supposedly from the Danzig area. I've looked in the threads already and am wondering: 1. I thought it was illegal to import dug finds bas

Default Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

There is a seller on Ebay with loads of dug helmets. Supposedly from the Danzig area. I've looked in the threads already and am wondering:

1. I thought it was illegal to import dug finds based on the comments in the huge thread on the digs in Russia. Does it just vary by country?

2. Is there a chance that these helmets are authentic battlefield finds? It just blows my mind that these could be for sale.

Thoughts on Dug Helmets? Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on Dug Helmets?
    P
    Many

The silver lid you've shown looks more like barn
    find to me. I have only one dug helmet from
    Europe, and I know it was found in a pit
    with quite a few others in varying
    stages of decay.

Not keen on the idea of grave dug
    helmets.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-28-2016 at 12:39 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I must assume you're a beginning collector, friend...welcome to the Forum...Relic Helmets are still plentiful and easily obtained on Ebay...These are indeed original relic helmets and they are an affordable alternative to the more expensive, Collector-Grade examples...
    As for the ones posted, I wouldn't pay more than $35 for those, from Danzig or not...Just my personal opinion of course...
    cheers, Glenn

Most dug relics are perfectly legal, so long as they were dug by legally permitted diggers. There are, of course, various places and such that No digging is allowed under Any circumstances. Many places are simply deemed too dangerous to dig in for the piles of unexploded ordnance that are still in the ground(some as old as WWI!). Graves are another forbidden place to dig, of course. Some countries and locales require licensing to dig, and naturally, on private land, the land owners must give his approval as well. The laws vary widely from country to country and from locale to locale and it is always best to thoroughly check with the authorities where one wishes to search. In some places, even owning a metal detector is not allowed.

And, yes-the helmets you see being offered do, indeed, come from battlefield excavations. Remember, there were literally millions of helmets scattered throughout the whole of Europe and beyond over time. Even soldiers that surrendered and were taken prisoner generally just tossed their then useless helmets on the way. Many were scavenged for scrap metal and many more were just buried, trashed or tossed into any convenient ditch or hole in sight. Some collectors like having these pieces and some do not. It is just a matter of personal preference. Unfortunately, the Illegal diggers quite often ruin it for the Legal ones. They have no hesitation to go anywhere and everywhere they choose and do more damage in general than not. They are referred to in the hobby as "Black Diggers",and are to be much avoided. Know who you are buying from.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I must assume you're a beginning collector, friend...
    I am new to helmets. I have the unfortunate honor of being a person who briefly owned an "Eva Braun relic." That was my lousy introduction to the hobby. I bounced back and have an interest in Hitler Jugend badges. But these helmets are calling me. They are wildly fascinating to me. I just have to convince my wife that I need them.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I wouldn't pay more than $35 for those, from Danzig or not
    Thank you for the ballpark figure. It's nice to have a baseline to work from. Thank you for responding.

Wagriff,

I really appreciate the thoughtful response! The response was more than I'd hoped for. You helmet guys are a helpful bunch.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    And, yes-the helmets you see being offered do, indeed, come from battlefield excavations. Remember, there were literally millions of helmets scattered throughout the whole of Europe and beyond over time.
    That never really dawned on me until now. It somehow seems so unlikely to find that sort of thing just lying in the ground. I'm in Texas...all we have in the dirt are rocks and big bugs. My brain is misfiring just thinking how I would try to spend my time if I lived near a battłefield.

If you have ANY advice for me, pkease don't hesitate. I can see myself going broke very quickly. I find a certain appeal to the old, dug look. They have war wounds, like me.

You're in the right place to begin your journey...take a look at the various Helmet-Related Sections and feel free to ask for help before spending your money...
    cheers, Glenn

Lightbulb

As the other guys have said, 'dug' helmets are easy to come across in Europe. Many aren't actually 'battlefield' finds - at the end of the war many were literally thrown into holes in the ground and bulldozed over.

Here's a cache of recently discovered Luftwaffe helmets which were on sale at a Belgian militaria fair in the Summer. Price varied from 20-40 Euros depending on condition.

Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

?

If you are going to collect relics, then i would first ask myself: Where are i going to display it? Do remember that the metal is often destroyed/corroded thru, and pieces of metal dust will continue to rain from it.

I would first make a display box ready, with soft lightning, and a suiting background etc (maybe create fake ground out of products the modelers are using in dioramas.) Then after the display box were ready, then i would think WHAT ground dug items would be interesting to have here?! What do I like... Ironcross and other medals. bayonet.. pieces of original barbwire... shells and splinters.. There are endless ways you can make these relics to be extremely facinating display. An educational display, instead of a rusty lid on a shelf.

(only my suggestion so you can make a GREAT display )

There was a lot of dug up relic helmets that came form a post WWII dumping site in the Nederlands that was known as the "Big Hole".

Lots of helmets and other kit was piled into large holes there and just left to rot. Some were dug up legally but many of these mass pits are on Dutch military land and digging them is illegal.

As already stated, know the seller as some helmets will have been dug up from battlefield graves and should not be for sale and the diggers should be in prison.

That said, they are common and most will have been dug legally, but the practice might be outlawed in the future as more countries are likely to sooner or later to bring in laws to protect their historical heritage, as is already the case in some areas.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast