Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

Article about: There is a seller on Ebay with loads of dug helmets. Supposedly from the Danzig area. I've looked in the threads already and am wondering: 1. I thought it was illegal to import dug finds bas

Quote by Retsiger View Post
    I can see myself going broke very quickly.
    Then this image of some of my relic lids probably won't help you much!

Thoughts on Dug Helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on Dug Helmets?
    P
    Many

Just to chime in.

I volounteer for Volksbund and find them locations and such. On exhumations the only things that are taken officialy from the bodies are the id tag (erkennungsmarke),and rings (that have something written in them, like date of wedding or a name, germans liked rings with their initials on them; rings with decorations and plain ones are just thrown back); as for the equipment, medals and all other items, they are just left/buried again after the exhumations. This is where i got lot of my relic helmets from (i dont sell those from the graves). I know that lots of people would bury the bodies with their equipment but that is just not how it goes.

Lots and lots of these men died in a war they didnt want to fight in. So im sure many would like to rest without the reminders of that conflict, any equipment and such

Quote by TrondK View Post
    so you can make a GREAT display
    Definitely a serious consideration. Glenn66 has a seriously clean display posted here on page 2 of this thread. A classy look. To conserve space, I am thinking of a wall display. I had considered sticking with a medical or paratrooper motif, styling the items on my own background. But the damaged helmets appeal to me somehow on a level where the pristine helmets don't. Almost a melancholic reaction. A memorial to what could be argued as my service's greatest and strongest military foe.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Then this image of some of my relic lids probably won't help you much!

Thoughts on Dug Helmets?
    No. Not helpful at all. That's nice and respectful. At one point, I had started collecting firearms of the Axis and Allies. I ended up selling some pieces and would have to start all over again. I did keep a K98 Mauser that is stamped both German and CCCP. It has matching serials on all the parts and a nice condition bayonet. I think the direction I take will hinge on how the display should be organized with consideration for space. I don't have a lot of room to work with, but I could see making a shelf in the middle of a bookcase resembling what you posted. With some top lighting to cast some dark shadows. Somber.

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    This is where i got lot of my relic helmets from (i dont sell those from the graves).
    Do you sell helmets online? If so, do you receive negative reactions from people or accusations of grave robbing? I would find that the most difficult aspect of relic "hunting." I like that you rebury the personal belongings of the soldiers. There seems to be a line between a grave item and a dug item that is difficult for me to distinguish, but easily recognizable when done (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know of reputable sources for these lower priced helmets? Trustworthy? Follows the law? Moral recovery?

Quote by Retsiger View Post
    Do you sell helmets online? If so, do you receive negative reactions from people or accusations of grave robbing? I would find that the most difficult aspect of relic "hunting." I like that you rebury the personal belongings of the soldiers. There seems to be a line between a grave item and a dug item that is difficult for me to distinguish, but easily recognizable when done (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know of reputable sources for these lower priced helmets? Trustworthy? Follows the law? Moral recovery?
    I very rarely sell any relics, and as ive stated if i know that the particular helmet is from a mass grave i dont sell it. I like to keep them for myself, these helmets have a dark history to them. If i were to sell any of the grave ones, i would inform the buyer that its from a grave for sure. But i wont sell any of them.

I dont only search WW2 stuff, i also like antic stuff (roman, celtic here); and no one ever called me a grave robber or something... people mostly see us like the weirdos that swing their machines around lol.

For Relic Helmets, I recommend Germany's Ebay.de most of all....American Ebay would be next on my list of potential sources...And Espenlaub Militaria is also an excellent site for Helmets and other Battlefield-Relics...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2