Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts On M40 Helmet

Article about: Hello, I would like to start by saying I'm brand new to this forum and don't know much about German helmets or gear in general. Normally I collect cold war era US flight gear, but I had the

Post Thoughts On M40 Helmet

Hello,

I would like to start by saying I'm brand new to this forum and don't know much about German helmets or gear in general. Normally I collect cold war era US flight gear, but I had the chance to pick up this helmet for $50 so I decided to dip my foot into the German helmet world. That being said, any thoughts on it by some experienced helmet collectors would be much appreciated.

I believe that it is an M40 helmet and seems to have had about 4 coats of paint applied ranging from 2 coats of the current top color, a tan paint, and a grey/black base paint. It also seems to have had its German liner as well as something that was welded to the front of the helmet removed. I've tried to take as many informative photos as I can.

Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Mwesson030

Thoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 HelmetThoughts On M40 Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts On M40 Helmet
    P
    Many

It is an EF M40 combat shell but repurposed after the war by another country for civic duties probably. Which explains the new liner , chinstrap and overpaint.

Welcome MWesson030,

Yes, sadly changed post war but interestingly in your closeup photo of the air vent you can see the ghosted image of what may actually be the original German decal.

As far as German helmets are concerned they would have to be the most faked helmets of all so it is wise as you have done to post here first for an opinion from some of the experienced forum members. I suggest arming yourself with some good reference books and searching through the various threads using the search tool, then asses the helmet before seeing what others have said.

Here are two excellent reference books for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/Germanys-Comb...=vglnkc3245-20

https://www.amazon.com/Helmet-Decals.../dp/0989364682

Andrew

Appears to be an Italian liner & strap
    D.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It is an EF M40 combat shell but repurposed after the war by another country for civic duties probably. Which explains the new liner , chinstrap and overpaint.
    Do you think the tan paint was part of it's civic life or German? Any ideas as to what was welded on the front?

Thanks so much for the replies.