Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

thoughts on my cheap german m40 helmet

Article about: Well picked this up for \\$55 but got advice first and most you guys said pass on it and I was going to since i only had the sellers pics, well it came in today and I am glad I bought it even

Quote by M422A1 View Post
    9 U.S. Dollars equals 11.72 Australian Dollars...
    Minimum wage in Australia is $ 17.50 by law if you are a registered business

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement thoughts on my cheap german m40 helmet
    P
    Many

?

I agree with Doug. FWIW - You could have added a nice Vietnam era M1 or sought out a Korean war or WW2 M1 at a flea market or yard sale. At least it would be original and would stay that way. If it had to be a TR item, perhaps a badge, patch, or bayonet in original condition would satisfy the acquisition bug for a while. I've always considered it better to have an original item of any value than an item that has been arguably ruined. If necessary, start small and work your way up from there as time and funds allow.
    Regards,
    John

?

I have stopped buying new treasures for my pile. Of the same reason as Doug Says. Buy good items, dont buy novice collector items.

So for the moment im payin around to two thousand dollars every month on dept, Slowly but certain im getting ready to hoard again. Next year i believe it will be a good year for my addiction.

Oooor if i find some more good gold in the rivers, or better gemstones- then im back in business at once.

OK guys what's the going rate on a m40 et66 intact shell ? My guess is $100+ with original liner band and the liner is a French Adrian m26 liner that's not a repo and in great condition also this shell still has some original paint left on it and not as pitted as most relic helmets I seen that went for over $100+ so I don't think I wasted $55 if someone can get a m40 et66 shell for $55 in good condition plmk, I post pics once I get the ugly gray paint off of it

?

as long as your happy.....

is the French liner dated? these are sort after

$55 isn't too bad of a price for a shell to just have fun with. I would strip it and restore it properly, then maybe you could flip it to a reenactor. I agree that it's generally a better idea to just save your shekels for a nice, untouched original, but there is some merit to buying projects. In the end it's your money and you simply get what you pay for.

Just a update on this helmet, I ended up getting rid or it and got 2 nice bayonets and a ww1 garrison cap for it, the first bayonet is a Argentina 1891 with matching scabbard and the other is a ww1 Alex coppel bayonet with matching scabbard, below are the pics, I have $200 saved up so far to get a better helmet that's not messed with so half way there

for $55 I would have kept it, I think it still looks good on the shelf , the shiney grey paint kind of makes it look like a German Navy or Kriegsmarine helmet like in the movie U571 with the German Destroyer crew

it still makes a nice prop, the shell is original hardened steel, not the cheap 18 gauge mild steel they use on the current repros
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture thoughts on my cheap german m40 helmet  

Quote by battle gear View Post
    for $55 I would have kept it, I think it still looks good on the shelf , the shiney grey paint kind of makes it look like a German Navy or Kriegsmarine helmet like in the movie U571 with the German Destroyer crew

it still makes a nice prop, the shell is original hardened steel, not the cheap 18 gauge mild steel they use on the current repros
    Yea that's what the helmet was made to look like but after sorta being bashed that I wasted my money I decided to get rid of it and wasn't a bad trade I got for it, guy also gave me $50 Paypal too along with the bayonets and garrison cap

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast