Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Three Helmets, Three Fakes?

Article about: How do these look to you guys? Trying to get some more pics. Another "I saw you were looking for some WW2 stuff..." email.

Default Re: Three Helmets, Three Fakes?

Hi Paul, this palm tree and swastika design is a fantasy.

Hi BMoore, all I can advise is to study original items. You will see a huge difference once you become more familiar with real items. Look at how original items display true age and wear. Decals require a fair bit of study.

Don't worry about posting questions, that is what we are here to help with.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Three Helmets, Three Fakes?
    P
    Many

?

Hi Ade,

The palm tree and swastika was a bad one but the palm tree design was used by some combat units as a localised design as far as i'm aware, a friend of mine in the OdR who is particulary interested in the DAK interviewed some DAK veterans who confirmed they had seen a palm tree type design on the helmets of certain units usually at Kompanie or Zug level,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, I have never heard of that, thanks.

Cheers, Ade.

not really desirable helmets are they! only a DD SS DD Para, and a so called DRK!! Blimey personally a 10 foot barge pole comes to mind

Dear fellows,

as far as I know the DAK never used any other as the official Heer and Luftwaffe decals. I don't know how the palm tree decal slid into international collector's lore.

When in Germany helmet decals were abandoned around 1940/41, there certainly wasn't any need for new decals. The Luftwaffe is known to have used on the WL Adler, also some Heer units used on the WH Adler, but most units scratched off the decals and/or overpainted them.

Yours,

Olaf

?

Quote by thiele-lund View Post
    Dear fellows,

as far as I know the DAK never used any other as the official Heer and Luftwaffe decals. I don't know how the palm tree decal slid into international collector's lore.

When in Germany helmet decals were abandoned around 1940/41, there certainly wasn't any need for new decals. The Luftwaffe is known to have used on the WL Adler, also some Heer units used on the WH Adler, but most units scratched off the decals and/or overpainted them.

Yours,

Olaf
    I believe the common opinion is that decals were discontinued in late 43 or early 44. I do not have access to original orders.
    Steve

?

All 100% bad to the bone, paint decals etc etc, aswell as getting clued up on decals which is not that easy as there are a few different types from different manufacturers also get to know the colours and liners ,check for unnatural wear to paint and decals ,fakers scratch them burn them acid them bury them etc to age them,there are some good books on the decals and models which are worth buying if you are planning on collecting lids, rgds Dave

?

Have been searching through my archives and books regarding the DAK Palm Tree painted decal as i stated before veterans of the DAK had identified that they had seen them.

Here is how the Palm tree decal " slid into international collectors lore "

1) A Fallschirmjager example is shown in the Helmet collectors " bible " History of the German Steel Helmet ( Die Geschichte des Deutsches Stahlhelm ) 1916-1945 by Ludwig Bauer.

2) Goodapple and Weinands German Helmets 1933-1945 shows an M35 example which is a vet bring back having been liberated by a GI from within a Panzer.

3) Floyd R Tubbs Stahlhelm , the Evolution of the German Steel Helmet shows an M35 example.

4) A Steel Helmet of the Afrika Korps shows a M42 example , vet bring back.

I have personally seen one example which apparently had been brought back by a British 8th Army veteran.

It would seem that many leading Helmet collectors and authorities are happy that the Palmtree motif did exist in some form although all agree this was an impromptu, unofficial , in theatre design at no more than zug or Kompanie level but which did spread around the units.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2