Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Too good to be true?

Article about: WWII original German combat Helmet M42. shell only | eBay https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9GMAA...z2/s-l1600.jpg https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dU4AA...zz/s-l1600.jpg https://i.ebayimg.com/im

@Schwerpunk

There is a difference between realistically wanting something, and wanting something that is not in the realm of financial possibilities. Most of us are not blessed with jobs that pay a lot, and most money goes for expenses, food and family. As of now I do not have a "real" job yet other than helping a friend on the weekends.

I'd LOVE to have authentic Afrika Korps and Snow camos, as well as some SS lids. Realistically, unless I become a rich white collar worker (bleh) that won't happen unless I save and save and save.

Right now, original helmets that have been stripped don't look so bad to me. We're not all big time collectors with deep pockets and infinite knowledge. We all start somewhere and though I get what you're saying, getting a real lid with liners, decals and/or camos isn't even close to what I can realistically afford.

Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Too good to be true?
    P
    Many

@Adravor

I admit, I watch too many of those restoration videos on YouTube (they do look cool, don't they?). They're not for everyone, but they're nice if done right. I'll try for the helmet that I posted, but if I lose (a given) I'll commit to buying one I've had my eye on for a long time.

Rusty Relics if you enjoy relics more than other helmets than that is completely fine if you enjoy complete helmet that is fine All helmets are attainable except for the ones that command 8,000 plus in my opinion just remember it’s not impossible you just save and set milestones it’s not the size of the collection it’s the passion. Like some say also quality not quantity if you like complete helmets better I’d suggest saving by the time you get 2-3 messed with Helmets you could’ve payed for a complete Un-messed with helmet like Schwerpunct said find what type of helmets that interest you the most and go for it.! Welcome to the Forum

K
    Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    @Schwerpunk

There is a difference between realistically wanting something, and wanting something that is not in the realm of financial possibilities. Most of us are not blessed with jobs that pay a lot, and most money goes for expenses, food and family. As of now I do not have a "real" job yet other than helping a friend on the weekends.

I'd LOVE to have authentic Afrika Korps and Snow camos, as well as some SS lids. Realistically, unless I become a rich white collar worker (bleh) that won't happen unless I save and save and save.

Right now, original helmets that have been stripped don't look so bad to me. We're not all big time collectors with deep pockets and infinite knowledge. We all start somewhere and though I get what you're saying, getting a real lid with liners, decals and/or camos isn't even close to what I can realistically afford.

Thank you.
    Where did I say you need to buy an SS , winter camo or DAK ?
    What is wrong with saving money, that is how most people buy things you know. If stripped overpainted helmets are your thing well than you made a decision.

I never said that you said to buy helmets like that, but I'm getting that vibe from you. The "don't bother with that, it's kid stuff" kinda thing.

I love saving money. I love making money. But I often buy my own hunting equipment (clothes, boots, etc.) my own camera equipment (SD cards especially), my own hobby supplies, miscellaneous relics, and various other things. All of this money comes from working with a friend over several weekends throughout the summer, and selling a few things on ebay every now and then.

Last year, I made over $1,000 (I only started saving money at about the year 2018). Then I went through a growth spurt and paid about $550 in hunting equipment because it wouldn't fit me anymore. I figured "No biggey, I'll just sell some stuff on ebay. I procrastinated for a month and the Covid-19 hit, and now I can't sell on ebay because nobody is buying now. I can't visit the local antique shops either because they're all closed, and usually I can sell to them as well.

So as of now, I have about $600+- and I'd like to keep it like that for a while. The smart thing to do is to save until I leave home and I am doing that via budgeting. $200 goes for relics, $400 goes for savings. So my savings are doing good, my relic budget not so good. The only way I get to up my relic budget is by either:

A. strong-arming my friend to pay me more than minimum wage.

B. sit out the pandemic panic and start selling again when the panic dies down. Heh. Yeah right.

So what's my point? As of now I lost my train of thought and I forget my original point. II think what I was trying to get at is that I'm looking for a starter shell, not a collection piece worthy of a display case of its own and too many facebook photos. I can afford starter shells, nothing more than that.

Rusty,

If I may offer a little advice.. be patient, you're young, you still have a lifetime ahead of you.. Don't be in too much of a hurry to spend hard earned money.. As it has been suggested take some time to study and research before taking the plunge even with a relic helmet. Many of us on here waited years before we purchased our first helmets and there is no need to have a "white collar job" as you say. I was a professional Soldier for 22 years, hardly a white collar job, and then I became a Firefighter/paramedic,,, again hardly white collar wages but I maintained financial discipline and did not "impulse buy". And please don't think that I am implying that is what you are doing.. It took me years to amass the collection that I have now and it will take many more years to sell my collection...

These items will always be out there as they exchange hands over the years.. It will be soon enough and you will have amassed so many items you will be looking to move items on to other younger collectors like yourself.. You will also be passing on your experience and wisdom to others as well...

We are not criticizing your decisions or choices, just trying to help younger collectors as many of us older collectors get ready to "pass the torch" so to speak..

I am in the process of selling most of my 40 plus year collection of US and Foreign items that I have amassed over the years.. But I want to make sure that those who are getting this collection understand what I put into it and the significance of the items and groupings in order to preserve the memories of those who can't tell the stories anymore and have since passed. I have had an obligation as the caretaker of these items to ensure that the stories will continue to be told after they pass through my hands. I am trying to reach younger collectors and know what their interests are before I offer them any of my items,, and of course not at unrealistic unaffordable prices,, I would not want the reputation of someone who was taking advantage of younger collectors...

Just some of my own thoughts on this..

Good luck with your collecting endeavors..

Best regards

Smitty

Rusty,

I am not a seasoned collector having only been collector for about a year exactly & the gentlemen who have replied to you thus far have many more years in the game than I do but I feel I should offer my thoughts since I'm not far removed from that period of my collecting 'journey' where I wanted to jump on anything & everything. When I first started I wanted to own a little of everything & regardless how much money we can allocate to the hobby, most of us still have limits. I wanted armbands, insignia, medals, helmets, cuff titles etc. & I felt that if I didn't buy a particular item right then and there that I would never have the chance to get it again so I blew a stupid amount of money by being impulsive. I would estimate I have wasted $2,500 dollars in the last year either by buying junk, original items that were overpriced, buying multiple examples of an item because I found a better condition example after I bought the first one, & questionable items that may be good or may not be.

Smitty pointed out to me that Third Reich items were brought back to America by the duffle bag full & that there will never be a shortage of most items due to this fact and the fact vets & collectors trade/sell/pass away all of the time especially now where a lot of vets and collectors are getting up in age. Sure, some items are more rare than others but examples of majority of items will be on the market for years to come.

Point being, don't be a dumba** like me & waste your money. Make calculated purchases & be patient. I'll give you a good example. I have been on the hunt for an SA Sports badge. I found some from reputable dealers that were in 'just okay' condition for about $70-$75 each. I waited a week & found a near mint textbook example for only $95 from another good dealer. The wait was WELL WORTH IT. Sometimes you'll have to wait longer but it pays off in the end and everyone here will you tell you that. I totally get where you are right now. Just know that you are not in a race against anyone to build a bigger collection first. Especially if you are limited on budget you need to make every purchase count. A small collection with lower price tag one-looker original items is better than a huge collection loaded with questionable items.

Good luck man.
    Last edited by captain20052019; 05-26-2020 at 11:46 PM.

I know restoration can be a "thorny subject".........….so this should help resolve the issue ...............if your going to restore a helmet properly make sure it's clear that it has been restored....

Here's one I did earlier ...no doubt on it's originality and as it was bought at a "Market" and is used in a "Garden" then I can claim it was an SS lid used at Arnhem ! Getting it listed on E bay right now...………

Too good to be true?Too good to be true?Too good to be true?Too good to be true?

In fact it's a super rare SS spiked helmet !

It is also my first ever German Helmet that I bought in 1978...…...if your a history buff and need to google what happened in that decade it's the year after the Queen's silver jubilee !
    Last edited by spandau; 05-26-2020 at 10:39 PM.

?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I'm not sure about how German helmets sell on eBay (starting bids) so I wasn't sure. For instance, when I see a civil war Confederate buckle starting at $9.99 I know it isn't any good.
    That's definitely not a good rule to live by...most items I buy start at $9.99...some far more rare than a Confederate buckle...they just end high. It's all about knowing what you're looking at

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast