Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?

Article about: This one is a double decal Heer transitional - an ET 64 M16 shell, complete with reinforced aluminum banded M31 liner and chinstrap. The paint is 98%+ intact. The grey lined Adler took an un

Default Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?

This one is a double decal Heer transitional - an ET 64 M16 shell, complete with reinforced aluminum banded M31 liner and chinstrap. The paint is 98%+ intact. The grey lined Adler took an unfortunate hit, but still rates a conservative 90%, and the Tri Color is a solid 98%+. Although an ET shell, at some point it was fitted with Austrian chin strap bales which were bent inward but left intact on the shell when the helmet was last refitted. I can't say that I have seen this before. I guess the Austrian bales may have been factory installed for whatever reason, or maybe they replaced M91 lugs during an interim reissue? Any insights on this would be appreciated. Anyway, it is a pretty fair example. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?   Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?  

Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?   Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?  

Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?   Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Transitional DD Heer M16 - ET64 - Austrian Chin Strap Bales ?
    P
    Many

would that have been a helmet that got piled up in Austria with their Austrian stock post WW1 and then refitted Austrian style. Must be something like that Jim. It also has the decal set often encountered on Austrian DD's and the paint looks similar as well.
    You always come up with rarities Jim ;-) Cool helmet.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    would that have been a helmet that got piled up in Austria with their Austrian stock post WW1 and then refitted Austrian style. Must be something like that Jim. It also has the decal set often encountered on Austrian DD's and the paint looks similar as well.
    You always come up with rarities Jim ;-) Cool helmet.
    Thanks Frank, I also posted this one on GHW and Andrea had a very insightful observation. Here it is, it makes sense!

3 hours ago, sysyphus said:
    Jim...that is an odd ball for sure !!!

One thing....it's me or looks like three welded spots back and front as if has had once a combo? more or less like the czech vz 20?

is it plausible to think that was an ET, at some point issued to czech army, then reissued back again to german Wermacht ?

maybe there is nothing austrian here....?!

Andrea

GREAT EYE Andrea! I think you are right! I noticed the weld marks when I picked up the helmet, but didn't think it through. You're explanation makes the most sense. When I pull this one out of storage next I will take close ups of the welds and add them to the tread. Thanks Andrea, Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Dang. Andrea's eyes are good. I can't even see these weld spots.

Congrats on another nice helmet!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)