Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.

Article about: Hey guys! I found these two helmets at a local store for \\$20 each. Guy thought they were post war. I belive they are both german WW2 helmets, that were refurbished by the Danish post war? Fi

Default Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.

Hey guys! I found these two helmets at a local store for $20 each. Guy thought they were post war. I belive they are both german WW2 helmets, that were refurbished by the Danish post war? Figured for $40 bucks worth the gamble.. If they are WW2 should I try to strip the paint to see if they had decals? Or just leave alone as it is part of Danish history? Any ideas why the M-42 has all the rivets? Fire helmet maybe? Thanks for any opinions!

-Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.   Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.  

Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.   Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.
    P
    Many

No idea why the pictures got all mixed up sorry guys. The m42 is the one that had paint cleaned away to reveal marks. The M-35 is the one that has the wierd sticker on the rim.

4md
    ?

shells look ww2, i would leave them as is and preserve a bit of Danish history, cant say i have ever seen a Danish helmet

Paul

I've always found it strange that countries subjugated by the Nazi's chose to wear their helmets immediatley post war, Although all modern kevlar helmets are based on "the Fritz" at least 35 odd years elapsed before their introduction ! cheers Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    I've always found it strange that countries subjugated by the Nazi's chose to wear their helmets immediatley post war, Although all modern kevlar helmets are based on "the Fritz" at least 35 odd years elapsed before their introduction ! cheers Paul
    I think because...
    A) they were a good, smart looking design ( better than the pudding bowls other armies used )
    B) to used a defeated foes design is a "up yours" sort of gesture.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Good deal for $20 each I recon, and I probably would
    have gone for them too. A repro bread bag strap
    might cost around $20, though it looks original
    to me.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Good buy at $40. At minimum it gives you a great opportunity to understand their construction and use the hand son knowledge for future buys.

Quote by 4md View Post
    shells look ww2, i would leave them as is and preserve a bit of Danish history, cant say i have ever seen a Danish helmet

Paul
    Neither have I, until I Googled the CF Stamp on the liner.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Good deal for $20 each I recon, and I probably would
    have gone for them too. A repro bread bag strap
    might cost around $20, though it looks original
    to me.........!
    Yes the bread bag strap I think is real its dated 1942.

I think there is more to these helmets than meets the eye!
    The M35 is an SE shell and the M42 looks to be a Quist .... which makes it a real rare beastie as M42 Quists are thin on the ground!

It looks like they may even have used a German Luftschutz liner fitted to the shell ( with strengthening eyelets ) as they look very close??Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.

And when you say "post-war" it would only have been done in the years '45 - '47 as the Danish M1923 helmet was then phased out by the M48 US M1 type manufactured nearly identically to the US WW2 M1 Helmet. The Danish M.48 (model 1948) was a NATO contract helmet and every shell was manufactured either in Austria by the Ulbrichts firm or in Germany by the Linnemann-Schnetzer firm.

The plastic liners were also manufactured nearly identically to US WWII issue but were made in Denmark by Dansk Kunststof Industri.

I also found another picture online showing the crown rivets and "stripe" which I think is as you surmise - where the comb was for fire helmets.Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.

I think you have a couple of underrated gems!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast