Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Type of Helmet

Article about: by wpheaton How would you suggest I try to remove the paint? I have restored a few helmets before. I don't think you will gain much from trying to remove the paint only. The helmet have been

?

Default Re: Type of Helmet

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    How would you suggest I try to remove the paint?
    I have restored a few helmets before. I don't think you will gain much from trying to remove the paint only. The helmet have been painted on both inside and outside. If you want you can remove the liner and repaint the helmet with "Feldgrau" enamel and bake it in the oven Then refit the liner.

You can try and remove the paint with cotton sticks and acetone, but it's a long process. You will have to wash with water all the time, then clean some more with acetone and so on... You can clean under the vent holes and see if there should be a decal, but i doubt it. The history of the helmet is gone now, except from the liner. In my opinion the best you can do is to bring it back to "original" color. Basically you can do what you want. Even apply original decals, but they are expensive.

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Type of Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I have restored a few helmets before. I don't think you will gain much from trying to remove the paint only. The helmet have been painted on both inside and outside. If you want you can remove the liner and repaint the helmet with "Feldgrau" enamel and bake it in the oven Then refit the liner.

You can try and remove the paint with cotton sticks and acetone, but it's a long process. You will have to wash with water all the time, then clean some more with acetone and so on... You can clean under the vent holes and see if there should be a decal, but i doubt it. The history of the helmet is gone now, except from the liner. In my opinion the best you can do is to bring it back to "original" color. Basically you can do what you want. Even apply original decals, but they are expensive.

Regards, Lars
    Thanks Lars,

This is why I enjoy this site so much, great experience and willingness to share information. I will probably just leave the helmet as it is.

Thanks,

William

?

Yes you might as well do that too. If you get tired of looking at it you can always repaint it. The correct paint is not difficult to find. If you need info just write

Cheers

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    How would you suggest I try to remove the paint?
    a product for cleaning domestic ovens

?

Hey there wpheaton, as Dartus said u can use acetone i believe that's the best way to remove the paint.Recently i did that to my first helmet and it turned out great you can check my post and see https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...hlhelm-272380/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2