Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very unusual color on M42

Article about: by klokhoane are there any markings inside of the helmets?? Negative on both.

Default Very unusual color on M42

My first post on this board and right away something, that will probably cause some disbelive.

I own this M42 helmet for about 5 years. It was found in germany by a guy known to the metal-detectior community here.
    The helmet was found in a typical disarmament hole, were a group of soldiers hat burried their equipment in 1945.
    The location of the find is known to be one of the last locations of SS-Nord. The helmet was part of a stack of several similar colored helmets. That is the reason for the area of stronger rust coloring. This part of the helmet stucked within the helmet below.
    The finder sold several of this helmets in differnd stages of decay on ebay.de.
    When I got it, it was completly uncleaned.

The pictures shows the real color, light-grey rough painting over a
    fieldgrey single decal SS-helmet.

Has any of you ever seen a similar colored helmet?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Very unusual color on M42   Very unusual color on M42  

Very unusual color on M42   Very unusual color on M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very unusual color on M42
    P
    Many

Default Re: Very unusual color on M42

It looks like it lied in a puddle of water that could explain the rusty markings on it...

cheers,

ian
    ?

far more damage around the decal area than on the rest of the helmet and some of the paint looks heat blistered , and a paint run unside the helmet by the liner pin hole ???????????????
    ill reserve my personal desition on it
    becouse im not an expert on these things

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I don't believe any of the paint inside or out, is original to the helmet from WW2. The SS runes should also be black, not silver.

Cheers, Ade.

?

looks like its repainted to be used as a cooking pot or just to heat water in hence the heat damage ????

Somehow it doesn't look right...
    The heatblisters and the weird color on top of it caused bij waterdamage or heat...

cheers,

Sorry, I can't ad any other information, that's all. The second one I purchased from the same stack of helmets had the same color, but was much more damaged by corrosion. I cleand him up completely and made a display replica (not aged) out of it.

This is how it looked before cleaning:
    Attached Images Attached Images Very unusual color on M42  Very unusual color on M42  Very unusual color on M42  Very unusual color on M42 

notice the same kind of discoloring at the top of this helmet... it looks like they have been bathing for a while...

cheers,

are there any markings inside of the helmets??

cheers,

I notice, I've been a bit unclear. All pictures above show helmet #1.

About the discoloring on the top: Imagine a hole in the ground were a dozend or so troopers droped anything in, they wanted to get rid of before surrendering. If civilian colthes were available to them, even their uniforms...
    In this case several helmets were droped as a stack into the hole (dome downwards). Other stuff was dropped around and (maybe indeed after leting it burn for some time...) the hole was closed with earth. Due to this the helmet in the stack below my helmet #1 filled up with water to some extend. The water dryed away slowly causing several stages of discoloring up to black where the helmet stayed in (then most probably rotten...) water for the longest time.

Sorry, can't explain it better in english...

This is helmet #2
    Attached Images Attached Images Very unusual color on M42  Very unusual color on M42  Very unusual color on M42 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast