MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385

Article about: A new addition. Was not expecting to pick up a helmet but once my friend showed it to me I really liked it. Difficult to photograph given the black paint and varnished. A nice but very weird

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I gave always had a soft spot for vet helmet like this. Nice lid my friend.
    Marty

Thanks Marty. What unit was your grandfather in. I've been trying to piece together from the locations on the helmet what unit this could have come from. A needle in a haystack but...I think I have a lead so far with the VIII Corp. Unfortunately that is pretty high up in the organizational chain. But I also think it is possible that it was an armored unit as they were prominent at both Brest and St. Vith.

EDIT: I see your tag. 644th TD.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385
    P
    Many

?

Why go thru so much to fix up a helmet when there were mountains of perfect helmets to pick from?!

I am sorry, i do not feel comfortable with this object because of these details.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Why go thru so much to fix up a helmet when there were mountains of perfect helmets to pick from?!

I am sorry, i do not feel comfortable with this object because of these details.
    Who knows? Maybe it had some special meaning to him. As to the missing number, it might indicate the owner's frustration as to when he would go home. I once had a British mess kit issued to an American prisoner and survivor of the Bataan Death March. He did artwork all over it it and there was the haunting inscription "California here I come WHEN? He survived, was a witness at the war crimes trial, never regained his health and died in 1949. I got it from his best friend wo whom he had given it.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

""Never buy the story, buy the item.""

So at least we can agree on disagreeing

Quote by TrondK View Post
    ""Never buy the story, buy the item.""

So at least we can agree on disagreeing
    Amen!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Who knows? Maybe it had some special meaning to him. As to the missing number, it might indicate the owner's frustration as to when he would go home. I once had a British mess kit issued to an American prisoner and survivor of the Bataan Death March. He did artwork all over it it and there was the haunting inscription "California here I come WHEN? He survived, was a witness at the war crimes trial, never regained his health and died in 1949. I got it from his best friend wo whom he had given it.
    I agree Bob. You can tell from the timeline of places that this soldier had seen his share of action. It ends at Alsace and there was plenty of war left...and if I'm correct about the VIII Corp connection they went all the way to Czechoslovakia.

Trondk: This helmet is undoubtedly original IMHO. The age and crazing to the paint and components is just too hard to fake. Pictures can never tell the whole story. But in hand it is right as rain.

Thanks!

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Interesting helmet Michael, and one that will occupy several hours trying to nail down a particular division/unit from those place names. Good luck!! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Just a little more info....Although not named or having a unit ID, I did find that the VIII Corp participated in all the battles / cites listed on the helmet. First Normandy, followed in order by Britteny, Brest, Paris, Belgium, St. Vith, Luxembourg and Alsace. And most of these battles were spearheaded by armor units. I don't think I can get it down to the Divisional or lower level. But maybe if I could see what units not only fought in these battles but also were in Wales/England and Canada.....

A crude map I made of the VIII Corp order of march. Follow the red arrows.

Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2