Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vet bring back German M42 helmet with some background history

Article about: Years ago I struck up a conversation with an elderly gentleman in my neighborhood. Turns out that he (Orville) was a front line rifleman in the 143rd Regiment of the 36th Infantry Division i

?

Default Re: Vet bring back German M42 helmet with some background history

Nothing wrong with the helmet. Many a story is true. Collectors are free to choose what to believe what not to. In this case with this helmet, I have no problem with either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet bring back German M42 helmet with some background history
    P
    Many

?

Well, I guess I wasn't expecting that kind of response when I posted this, Lane. I just found this forum a week ago and thought it was WWII artifact enthusiasts and historians sharing their finds and collections with others who could appreciate it. I thought the members would enjoy the story behind the helmet. I'm not a collector of German helmets (this is the only one I have), but I am a WWII historian and I can appreciate the history here. I met the vet, and he told me his story as we had coffee in his house and I hastily scribbled notes while he reminisced. Had I listed the helmet for sale and come up with some fantastic story, I could understand your demeanor. However, the helmet came from a pile of discarded German war equipment in April of 1945. I just don't see an 86 year old man, with nothing to gain or lose, making that up!
    Trey
    Last edited by cavhom; 06-29-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having an excellent item And a legitimate history story to go with it! The mantra of buy the item-not the story only goes to when someone is trying to make an inordinate profit by adding a fascinating story to an otherwise common something he is peddling. Great helmet,Trey-and congrads on knowing a wee bit of it's History to boot! William

And,just a quick aside mention of the missing liner string.I wouldn't fret too overly about it. These strings did,indeed,break quite often during wearing in combat. I've seen them period replaced with boot strings and whatever else they could find that would work. Back in the early sixties,I once picked up a Mod 40 helmet from a pile of a couple hundred(choice-2 bucks). Inside,the string was missing,but there,to my surprise,was an extremely yellowed and crumbly folded up German Newspaper inside the top that had been double duty as a pad. I guess they all made do with what they had available at the times!

"Much that once was is lost,
    For none now live who remember it." Tolkien
    Last edited by Wagriff; 06-29-2011 at 05:10 AM.

?

Thanks William, glad you like the helmet. Interesting about the newspaper in the lining; sounds like it was for extra padding for a liner that was too big? Can't believe helmets were $2 back then. Ten bucks spend on helmets then would get you a great return today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2