Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Washed Camo

Article about: Hey all, figured I would start a new thread since this was at the end of the last one that I started. I have been trying to find an authentic camo helmet and have some leads from a local cla

Default Washed Camo

Hey all, figured I would start a new thread since this was at the end of the last one that I started. I have been trying to find an authentic camo helmet and have some leads from a local classified site. I feel pretty good looking at most non-camo helmets and liners. I think the inside of this one seems good but I have concerns about the name inside and the outside camo. The eagle looks pretty decent from from what I have seen and owned. The chinstrap seems legit. I have never seen the stamps inside the helmet though first hand. Any thoughts or ideas of value would be appreciated. The owner was asking $700 for the item.

- - ------- - -

Correction, $700 for the item
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Washed Camo   Washed Camo  

Washed Camo   Washed Camo  

Attached Images Attached Images Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo  Washed Camo 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Washed Camo
    P
    Many

On a side note, I have done a few restores on helmets (and sold them as a restored item) since other owners had monkeyed with them badly. I think replicating the style here would be difficult but not impossible. The paint part is not that bad but adding age is harder. I know that the chipping effect can be done with certain acids and the rust from simple household products as well as corrosion.

The rivets seem to have not been messed with or opened and re-closed. I am by far no expert on any of this but have had a few examples to learn from and mistakes made.

Almost forgot the stamp
    Attached Images Attached Images Washed Camo 

Ha, answered my own question about the making. HKP. So it is in the rear designating its post 1943. No mention on if they supplied helmets to the Luftwaffe though. Looks like the army, police and SS were the main recipients of the helmets? Seems like the HKP matches up with the time frame of switching to the M40 style but does it match up with the Luftwaffe?

Learn from this topic LW Afrika CAMO M40 Helmet "Regt. General Goring" marked?? Real deal?

Your photos are waaaaay too small but I would not hold out too much hope.
    This is needed at the minimum , click to enlarge.

Hi, for me this one is not period cammo, the shades are good to look at, but the rust appears very "red" and quite recent. Old rust turns almost black with time, which this has not. I am not sure that is a good chinstrap either. Leon.

Thanks for the input. I suppose that I will keep looking. I am always looking to upgrade from my current one. I started upgrading with an old luger and ended up with my present one in mint shape. Always good to learn as I go.

A few closeups of the eagle before this one is put to bed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Washed Camo   Washed Camo  

the eagle is Original but the camo is not , a humped up lesser helmet.