Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

weird liner M35

Article about: Hi, I'm new here, but that is not completly true; my brother is a member here, and sometimes we look on the forum at the great stuff and Im always supprissed about the great knowlegde you gu

Default weird liner M35

Hi, I'm new here, but that is not completly true; my brother is a member here, and sometimes we look on the forum at the great stuff and Im always supprissed about the great knowlegde you guys have.
    I just started collecting, I am trying to make a nice Wehrmacht collection, but I don't have very much yet. I do have many items, but nothing realy rare or expensive, most of my stuff my brother gave to me or I was given by a farmer.
    I have some medals (German) wich I will post later on, 13 at the moment but I don't want to bore you with that now.
    My question is about this Quist helmet (size 64).
    I got it from a farmer with a gasmask can with the mask inside. I could only have it if I prommise not to sell it because he could sell it him self if he wanted to.
    My question is why is the liner cut in two places? And why is the chinstrap so shortend? I now it is 100% original, as it was left on the farm after the war and nobody touched it since.
    I must admit I make two huge mistakes; when I get it it was very rusty, and I cleaned the shell with steelwool to see if any paint was left. The only paint left is some wintercamo white dripping through the inside ventileholes and a little bit on the outside round the revrets.
    The other huge mistake I make is to take the liner out to see the dates. I just wanted to see what year it is, but my brother got mad and hit me round the head and told me I should never do this agian because now the helmet is raped.
    Well I'm sorry, I learn from this thing. Now I wander why the liner is cut at the front, was this done more? What does the S mean on the gasmaskcan? It read 428/S.
    Thank you for your help and Iill post more things soon.
    Greetings Peter.
    Attached Images Attached Images weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35  weird liner M35 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement weird liner M35
    P
    Many

Default Re: weird liner M35

Hello, Peter !

Welcome to the forum !

If this is a M35 helmet, they had aluminum liner bands - which were replaced
    by late 1940 - that were brittle and prone to breakage.

The chinstrap may have been damaged, and then shortened.
    Some are also purposely cut down.................
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you Steve, but Im very sorry I dont understand what you mean.
    "that were brittle and prone to breakage" that is Greek to me, I am very sorry again, English is not my mother-language.
    Do you know why they cut the liner like this? Again very sorry for the language problem.

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Thank you Steve, but Im very sorry I dont understand what you mean.
    "that were brittle and prone to breakage" that is Greek to me, I am very sorry again, English is not my mother-language.
    Do you know why they cut the liner like this? Again very sorry for the language problem.
    Your English is better than anything I may have !

......Fragile, and can break easy.......
    Regards,

Steve.

ian
    ?

the dark colour of the liner says to me ,,re issued mabe norwgian

No it is not reissued, it never went anywere ater the war. I did clean and oil the liner because it was very dry. That is why it looks darker than normal.
    The chinstrap is very dry to so I will have to oil it to.