Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Weird M16

Article about: Hi Do you think this is a real one?It's said the owner was a tank driver in the 3rd Army.Do you think is that possible to get the original black paint back?Is that a good choice?thanks a lot

Default Re: Weird M16

Hi Kevin, that is about the going rate for one and this book was actually reprinted a few years ago, which does not happen very often with militaria books. But it is worth the expence.

There is a new book out, but I have not seen it yet, so I cannot pass comment.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Weird M16
    P
    Many

Quote by kevin710 View Post
    Thanks again,Ade
    I checked the book you recommend but it's about $200 and hard to find.Is there any cheaper one you suggest?thanks.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    There is a 3 volume set by Baer in German (about $75 per book, and it covers post WWII German military and civil helmets as well) and the one volume English language reference book mentioned by Ade above. The English version is occasionally on ebay and can be had at times for less than $100, so don't spend $200 for it. I think the new book by Ken Niewiarowicz is pretty good as well, but Ade is right, the Baer book is the bible and a must for a new collector. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    There is a 3 volume set by Baer in German (about $75 per book, and it covers post WWII German military and civil helmets as well) and the one volume English language reference book mentioned by Ade above. The English version is occasionally on ebay and can be had at times for less than $100, so don't spend $200 for it. I think the new book by Ken Niewiarowicz is pretty good as well, but Ade is right, the Baer book is the bible and a must for a new collector. Jim G.
    Hi Helmet2id & Ade
    I bought this book "German's Combat Helmets 1933-1945 a Modern Study" by Ken Niewiarowica" on your recommendation.Thanks a lot for your kind help.Hope it's not too hard to read for the people like me who use English as the second language.

Cheers
    Kevin

?

the new book you have bought is really good , rgds Dave

wolfedawg
    ?

I thought a bunch of these were found in Afghanistan. I believe They were surplus from WWI that were used by the Afghan army that did have a badge attached to the side.

Mike

Quote by wolfedawg View Post
    I thought a bunch of these were found in Afghanistan. I believe They were surplus from WWI that were used by the Afghan army that did have a badge attached to the side.

Mike
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for your comment. So do you mean the paint is original one from the Afghan army or it's not German M16 at all?thanks for help.

Cheers
    Kevin

Quote by kevin710 View Post
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for your comment. So do you mean the paint is original one from the Afghan army or it's not German M16 at all?thanks for help.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Kevin, All of the helmets from Afghanistan that I have seen have holes on the other side of the helmet (the wearer's right), so I am inclined to agree with Ade that the holes were for a police badge for a German or Austrian unit, although the line between the 2 holes for the attachment of the flaming bomb badge usually applied to Austrian Police helmets with which I am most familiar is not horizontal as on this helmet. Yours is an original M16 shell, but I don't think the split pins are original to the piece, the tails are too thin and long for an M16. The pins may be period of the type used on luftschutz helmets, but I am not sure. The paint in my opinion is collector applied probably to prevent rusting of the shell. Just my 2 cents. Jim G.

Hi Jim
    Thanks for the detail identification of this M16 lid.I really appreciate your professional help.

May I ask one more question?Is that possible to restore the original paint?Thanks again.

Best Regards
    Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2