Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What about this inner? original or not?

Article about: Hi all!! what do you think about this inner? looks like too good to be original or not?? Thanks!!!!!

Default What about this inner? original or not?

Hi all!! what do you think about this inner? looks like too good to be original or not??
    Thanks!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What about this inner? original or not?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What about this inner? original or not?

To me it looks as though that lined has disintergrated "into" the helmet, it seems to have shrunk along the liner band and looks to me to have been with the helmet while it was in the ground. With the amount of muck and rust between the shell and the band and the fact the leather looks to be under a lot of iot would lead me to believe that is it original. If someone had tried to put a new liner in the helmet, you would expect to see more disturbance to the rust inside the shell. It is not unheard of to have the leather survive, depending on the conditions it was kept in, how it was stored and if it is ground dug it may just have been sitting in the right position or something in the ground with it helped preserve the liner.

?

Well it looks to me that the liner ring has not been disturbed and the condition at the leathers edge is consistant with the decay, with the type of decay the ring is in , it would be very difficult to refit a liner, there are examples of very relic helmets that have come from the Big Hole in Holland that have pretty good liners still attached, lets see what some others say

I do not think this liner is original to the helmet. It gives off the wrong vibes. : /

?

To help assess this more clearly, what condition is the liner in, ie, soft, hard, brittle etc

I think you should throw the whole thing away before it contaminates your house ;-)

It is not unheard of to have the leather survive, depending on the conditions it was kept in, how it was stored and if it is ground dug it may just have been sitting in the right position or something in the ground with it helped preserve the liner.[/QUOTE]

I have dug around a dozen liner leathers up in the Ardemmes with virtually no helmet metal remaining, but also had helmet shells with no leather. I suppose it all depends on the type of soil or the condition of the helmet.

liner looks good, i have around 20 helmets, ground dug helmets here all still with good leather in them, they are not uncommon to find include the liner, just some diggers remove the liner to fit them in fake helmets for the autentic look