Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is a better investment?

Article about: I have a question. What is a better investment, and I know this can be bias due to me posting to the helmet forum side. collection helmets or firearms? I know with helmets and firearms there

Trust me on this Marty.
    I collect both Guns and helmets.
    It has been my experience that Guns almost always hold their value and appreciate more than helmets over time.
    I have bought and sold both helmets and guns.
    I do not do this to make money.
    I do it on occasions when I upgrade an item in my collection.
    Like for instance I may sell 3 helmets to buy one really nice one.
    I always have gotten better value with my guns.
    Also I have benefited from times when people were afraid new laws would be passed banning particular firearms.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a better investment?
    P
    Many

I used to collect helmets but have moved to visor and field caps, which I like more and believe they will increase in value over the years ahead. As well as headgear, daggers are holding their value very well as there is a big market for them. I too collect for the history, but when it's time to sell, a little profit isn't a bad thing.

?

Thumbs up

I've been doing this military collecting thing for 62 yrs. My primary interest is gunz, But I collect almost anything WW 2 German. I would rate the increase in value between P.38s (I have 65+) and helmets (I have 15) to be about equal over the years.
    Having said that I would choose a P.38 I don't have over a helmet I don't have every time.
    Once I buy something, I rarely sell it. I will occasionally trade something out of the collection for something I want more.
    Sarge

you want to buy stuff as cheap as you can really, i dont mind paying for Items but its finding it real worth is the hard Part
    is a award is worth £500 and you buy it for £750 then you go to sell it in a year or 2 and can only get £500 back its not a nice feeling to lose money like that
    if you paid £550-600 then sold for £500 then not such a big deal
    as being new its had to find the Value of a Item

?

I am all over the board and have been for 30 years in my diversity of spend and my collection...When I buy cars I know when I drive them off the lot the value plummets. They will eventually peter out and are hunk of junk that is depreciating daily. Militaria may go up and down of course. Win some..maybe lose some. In looking at the life cycle of my collection I have no regrets. Daggers and Buckles interest me along with Field Gear.

The times I have had with family and other collectors adds value to the piece. So I buy a buckle for $100. Let's say in 5 years if my clinched fist would ever sell it for $85.00? So I lost $15? What about the memory, time served with the piece of history...Nostalgic maybe...Crazy maybe? I think I would have a hard time selling anything. But may have to some day? If I get my money back or lose a little on some and make a little on others I say big deal. I had time enjoying it which money can't buy. If I break even or even lose 10% but had a ball living a life with you guys and my collection all good!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

All I can say is I agree with he old hands that have chimed in no ones knows what will be the best buy for example from my own experience I used to attend the shows in the late 60/s 70s and 80s I remember buying a p38 for one hundred dollars and one for seventy five there were SS helmets selling for the same price and paratroopers one hundred or up. I had no idea the P38 I once owned would be as much as they are today but look at those SS and fallschrimjager helmets 6000 and up. Who knows just buy what you like and feel comfortable with your purchase. timothy

?

To quote Rossi,
    "I am all over the board and have been for 30 years in my diversity of spend and my collection...When I buy cars I know when I drive them off the lot the value plummets. They will eventually peter out and are hunk of junk that is depreciating daily. Militaria may go up and down of course. Win some..maybe lose some. In looking at the life cycle of my collection I have no regrets. Daggers and Buckles interest me along with Field Gear.

The times I have had with family and other collectors adds value to the piece. So I buy a buckle for $100. Let's say in 5 years if my clinched fist would ever sell it for $85.00? So I lost $15? What about the memory, time served with the piece of history...Nostalgic maybe...Crazy maybe? I think I would have a hard time selling anything. But may have to some day? If I get my money back or lose a little on some and make a little on others I say big deal. I had time enjoying it which money can't buy. If I break even or even lose 10% but had a ball living a life with you guys and my collection all good! "

Well said my friend and I am proud and it is an honor to call you that.
    I am along the lines of Glenn. I am not a man of wealth at least in the monetary sense. Life is Great for me!!!. But what I buy is so that I may enjoy it and because I wanted it. I have never bought to resell .If I have enjoyed it and it has made me happy while I fondled and smelled it. It has done its job. If there was a need for me to sell, it would be gone tomorrow as my family is everything. Would I trade to upgrade is another subject but once again I don't buy it if I didn't want to add it to my collection in the first place.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I think people are answering two different questions.
    The one question is what will go up in value more, firearms or helmets?
    The second question is what should you buy/collect?
    I still say guns will appreciate in value more. Militaria will go up and down.
    Just my opinion.
    As for what to buy, obviously buy what makes you happy.
    I can tell you though I have never lost money on guns whereas Militaria I have.
    So IMHO if you are looking at it as an investment buy guns.

?

Knowing the OP I know he loves both hobbies and probably that's why he wants to stick to one? I say stick with guns! God forbid someone breaks into your house, you can bust a cap in their azzz. =)
    Samir

?

In all seriousness I would say guns. If I was doing this for profit, or long term investment, I would have gotten into gun collecting.

Regards
    Samir

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast