Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What do helmets actually say?

Article about: I was going to reply in this thread http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/fallsc...09/#post810136 but my thoughts are so comprehensive as to warrant its own post and discussion and so as not to dist

Default Re: What do helmets actually say?

What’s so exciting about how the TR or indeed the Allies manufactured a helmet? A Helmet was a tool, a tool like all the other instruments of war? If it sat in a store cupboard for the entire war, what historic relevance does it have?? Sorry, I don’t get it

There is nothing technologically advanced about the production of an M35, 40, 42 helmet, it was basic mass manufacturing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do helmets actually say?
    P
    Many

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    What’s so exciting about how the TR or indeed the Allies manufactured a helmet? A Helmet was a tool, a tool like all the other instruments of war? If it sat in a store cupboard for the entire war, what historic relevance does it have?? Sorry, I don’t get it
    Historic relevance is not JUST the personal history.

History can be the stories about great men, be they good or bad, and their deeds, but the items they leave behind in the conquest for truth, justice or power tell more than you can imagine.

We agree that a helmet is a tool, but who made it? Where did the steel come from? That has historic relevance because it is political history - trade patterns.
    Decals? They have historic relevans, because they show who is in power.

How the helmet was manufactured shows how many advances there had been in the metal industry, and in metal alloys. That is industrial history.

A broadsword from the middle ages could have been "lost" right after it was forged. Does it have no historic relevance? Well, it does have historic relevance. The steel can be traced, so can the forging technique - it shows trade patterns, and the exchange of workers / skills. All have historic relevance if you study history.

There is nothing technologically advanced about the production of an M35, 40, 42 helmet, it was basic mass manufacturing
    It isn't the manufacturing itself, it is the reasons behind the manufacturing. Why did the Nazis make these helmets? They had a different motivation then the Allies. It is that underlying motivation that sets these helmets apart from the Allied helmets.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    It isn't the manufacturing itself, it is the reasons behind the manufacturing. Why did the Nazis make these helmets? They had a different motivation then the Allies. It is that underlying motivation that sets these helmets apart from the Allied helmets.
    They were a tool and a requirement of war, same as the Allies, I struggle to find profundity in it really

They were a tool and a requirement of war, same as the Allies, I struggle to find profundity in it really
    Yes, but since it is a requirement of war, it is therefore a part of history. The helmet symbolises the regime / government and ideas behind the war itself. It is not the story the helmet in itself can / can't tell us, it is the "big picture" so to speak. All the things happening around the time the helmet was made.

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    Yes, but since it is a requirement of war, it is therefore a part of history. The helmet symbolises the regime / government and ideas behind the war itself. It is not the story the helmet in itself can / can't tell us, it is the "big picture" so to speak. All the things happening around the time the helmet was made.
    Yes I agree, but then again if the helmet itself was not involved in that conflict, then ultimately then what historical relevance does it truly represent. (Hypothetical here) How many artillery shells were produced by the TR, same, if not more TR industrial mite went into their production. A box were sent to Stalingrad and used, one left and brought back by a vet. Another box sat in a unit in a factory somewhere in Germany and brought to light last week. I know which I would prefer!

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    The helmet symbolizes the regime / government and ideas behind the war itself.
    Exactly! That is why these helmets, mint or not, are historically relevant.

Yes I agree, but then again if the helmet itself was not involved in that conflict, then ultimately then what historical relevance does it truly represent. (Hypothetical here) How many artillery shells were produced by the TR, same, if not more TR industrial mite went into their production. A box were sent to Stalingrad and used, one left and brought back by a vet. Another box sat in a unit in a factory somewhere in Germany and brought to light last week. I know which I would prefer!
    As Frank said earlier, mint helmets "are the best representative examples of their kind as if they just emerged from the factory in Germany".

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Exactly! That is why these helmets, mint or not, are historically relevant.

As Frank said earlier, mint helmets "are the best representative examples of their kind as if they just emerged from the factory in Germany".
    Ok guys, I see your points but I do not think we going to agree on this.

The quote “The helmet symbolizes the regime / government and ideas behind the war itself”

That could be said of any item manufactured during the 30's up until the outbreak of war.

Actually I can think of many other items that emphasise this more clearly than a tin helmet but that just me

Gute Nacht

You are debating this purely from the viewpoint that any helmet that has scratches , been dug from the ground or is damaged otherwise has seen 'war' and any helmet that survived the war unscathed is therefore just a worthless ornament which is historically insignificant. Flawed logic big time.

Anything that survived such an important historical period is of worth. Every single thing and not just militaria. It's all being collected and while it may not be your thing do not belittle what others collect.
    So what about you ? I see you comment here often but are you in fact a helmet collector , from your comments I think you are not. it would be the same as if I would go on the dagger forum and question their reasons for collecting dress daggers , what historical relevance do they have ? Nobody uses them on a battlefield ? Silly.

?

A mint helmet named to a Knights Cross winner won in battle, a named helmet named to a Luftschutze woman. A helmet from a concentration camp. It's all history but none saw combat. It doesn't need a bullet hole in it to be significant to me :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast