MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

what do you think about this helmet?

Article about: The liner looks authentic enough to me , what youve got to remember is that us old cynics sometimes find it hard to believe that something can look totally genuine but we have an inherrent d

Default what do you think about this helmet?

Hi.
    What do you think about this helmet? My dad got it from a friend many years ago. I think his friend got it in Norway. It was painted yellow but my dad removed it some years ago.

It looks like a double decal SS helmet, you can see the SS runes on one side of the helmet (right side) and the other decal is barley visible.

The helmet is marked Q66 and 2810 on the inside. Its also marked G. Schiele Loburg 1937 on the leather band.

I just want to know you opinion about this helmet. If its an original helmet and maybe the value of it?

/ Farradin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what do you think about this helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: what do you think about this helmet?

Hi Mate,

I think it's an M40 or 35 can't tell from the photo, it's hard to see the decals, the liner looks repro.

But i like it a lot, i have seen these sold in this condition for approx £200, but to be fair , i am by no means an expert on German lids though, personally if i saw it for sale at the right price, i would buy it for my collection!!!

Cheers

Gaz

Hi thanks for replying mate

Do you think the liner is a repro? Even though its marked G.Schiele Loburg 1937 and also marked Braunschweig 1937 (hard to tell what else it say)
    I put up some more pics of it

Quote by Farradin View Post
    Hi thanks for replying mate

Do you think the liner is a repro? Even though its marked G.Schiele Loburg 1937 and also marked Braunschweig 1937 (hard to tell what else it say)
    I put up some more pics of it
    Hi Mate,

Well now you've posted clearer pictures i'm not sure so sure it is a repro??, i have posted a picture of one of my M42 helmets, this liner is 100% repro as i dyed it and aged the chinstrap personally, i suppose it looks kind of similiar to yours, my repro liner and chinstrap is marked as well, i suppose what i am saying is it's hard to tell, a good repro from real in photos.
    As always you need to see it with your own eyes!!

But i still say it's a very nice helmet, and would'nt mind it in my collection..... the resident German Helmet experts, will have a lot more advice to give about this one than me when they see it... now if it was a US M1 , that's a different story.........

Cheers

Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what do you think about this helmet?  

Okey , well I would guess the liner is an original, since my dad havent done anything with the helmet (he got it 25 years ago) and it got 2 labels on it. But you can't be 100% sure these days.

Is it a m35 or m40? I don't know the difference between m35 and m40.

/Farradin

It is an M35 with an original liner and chinstrap.

Cheers, Ade.

Smile Re: what do you think about this helmet?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    Okey , well I would guess the liner is an original, since my dad havent done anything with the helmet (he got it 25 years ago) and it got 2 labels on it. But you can't be 100% sure these days.

Is it a m35 or m40? I don't know the difference between m35 and m40.

/Farradin
    Hi Farradin,
    Yeah i think you're right about your liner.
    Well the simple difference between M35 and M40 is the air vent on the side of the helmet, both helmets have a rolled edge to the rim,( not like a M42 which has a raw edge) the air vent on a M35 is a seperate washer which is fixed into the helmet, where as a M40 is stamped into the helmet, they look the same i guess , but on close inspection you would see the difference.

When it comes to 3rd reich helmets, i am still learning myself, i've got 4 myself, and took a while to work out exactly what kind's they are...... still that's the joy of collecting we learn something new every day!!!!

Hope this is of help to you , check out the posts from Pieter, he has got some very nice lids indeed

Cheers Mate

Gaz

It's an M35. The air vents on an M35 are pessed into the shell whereas on an M40 they are struck. The liner rivets do not appear to be original to the shell.

Thanks for replying guys.
    Now i know the difference between m35 and m40. Yeah maybe the rivets aren't original to the shell.

About the decals, on the right one you can see the SSrunes but what is the left decal? It looks like its alittle white in it? Was it SSrunes on both side?
    /Farradin

Not sure about the Decals but shell looks good to me.
    If it was reissued in Norway then the liner may have been dyed with red paint.It can be removed with a product called Acetone easily and i have done it myself.The paint looks original for a 35 and age would have come back through because it was uncovered many years ago
    Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast