MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

what do you think of this now.

Article about: I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the "somewhat"....personally, I think you've taken a fairly scarce German Naval helmet and basically destroyed it. It's a shame that you didn't as

?

Default Re: what do you think of this now.

Looking at the new photos, I agree it does look better.

Cheers,
    Nitram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what do you think of this now.
    P
    Many

Well, it could have turned out worse...much, much worse. But, I agree with those that say leave a historical item alone, unless it is in such bad condition that it's nothing more than for parts. This, however, was not near that condition. The removal being finished and all, it does look better in the second set of pics, but that doesn't mean I agree with how it was done, but it's done.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Well, it could have turned out worse...much, much worse. But, I agree with those that say leave a historical item alone, unless it is in such bad condition that it's nothing more than for parts. This, however, was not near that condition. The removal being finished and all, it does look better in the second set of pics, but that doesn't mean I agree with how it was done, but it's done.
    +1
    Gr. Theo.

?

Well although its turned out ok, varnish does develop its own patina depending on how long its been on the helmet, its quite possible that it was done by the Vet who got it, therefore could have been "period" applied, i doubt if we'll ever know, but now it must be left alone ,nothing should be done to the decal area without extensive knowledge of restoration, otherwise there is a great risk of irrepairable damage being done, which of course will reflect in the resale value

?

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    True, anyone buying this will know that it has been cleaned, so while you may not get top value for it, it still doesn't look aweful. So you should easily be able to make a little profit off it.
    Regards
    If Griffinz is collecting just for profit then I really don't care what he did to it or how it turned out. Your just another guy looking to make a buck with no real regard for the items themselves - hence your photos of this helmet.

If Griffinz is collecting because you have an interest in the item, who wore it, when they wore it, why they wore it, and the struggles they faced while wearing it, then I feel more care could have been done to keep this helmet looking period and still removing the varnish.

Just my opinion as I do not feel valuing the item really has a place on a forum that values the items and articles over how much money can be made or lost. That is what jobs are for.

?

Just to preface my last comment, a pet peeve of mine are the following statements;

"Is it real and how much is it worth?" and "I took the postwar paint off with sandpaper, a hi speed dremmel and chainsaw, is it worth more now?"

It seems a lot of collecting is turning into Pawnstars with guys opening up sales websites faster than you can shake a stick at and turning up every rock posting a lot of crap hoping they've hit the lotto and not giving a crap about what it is they may or may not be holding in their hand. It is disregarding history and in my opinion turning the hobby into a giant live episode of Combat Cash, the latest in the reality tv antique hunter/seller shows.

Where are the guys who value the idiosynchracies of why an M42 EF SS has ET decals, how did they get them, what was behind all this. Or what unit wore this particular maker marked cap, why was it ordered in such a configuration etc. What small role did these items play in the big stage of WW2 for example? Was there a historical significance?

I know, I am ignoring reality somewhat, we all buy and we all sell eventually and nobody wants to take a loss. Call me a romantic or naive. But I tire of the profit motive that seems to be taking over collecting right now.

Doug,I agree 100% as to what you said Being a coin collector and German collector leave the pieces alone and stop this B.S. profit motive.You are destroying a historical piece of WW2 with this sandpaper or whatever he used.Amazing how greed leads to screwing up a decent piece and then saying it looks nice!! I feel as a long time collector Dougs post and my post are falling on deaf ears.Do whatever you like but please dont put members who appreciate these pieces through this nonsense!! Carl

Am I the only one who feels this thread has become a little bit unreasonable? There was a post just a few days ago called "Equality"

Equality.

which included the line:

"Acting with arrogance and superiority over other members is unacceptable."

and went on to say

"There have been instances of late which are not in the spirit of the forum where members have been acting above their station and with an air of superiority, conceit and condescension towards others. This will not be allowed to continue. It is rude, intimidating and very uncomfortable to fellow forum users."

Yes indeed, and this is making me uncomfortable. I know griffinz asked 'what do you think of this now?', but answers, even where they are in disagreement, need to be polite, and I feel some of the posts are very close to the unacceptable. After all, when it comes down to it, he can dump the helmet in Nitric Acid if he wants to, it's his property.

Rob

Quote by DougB View Post
    Just to preface my last comment, a pet peeve of mine are the following statements;

"Is it real and how much is it worth?" and "I took the postwar paint off with sandpaper, a hi speed dremmel and chainsaw, is it worth more now?"

It seems a lot of collecting is turning into Pawnstars with guys opening up sales websites faster than you can shake a stick at and turning up every rock posting a lot of crap hoping they've hit the lotto and not giving a crap about what it is they may or may not be holding in their hand. It is disregarding history and in my opinion turning the hobby into a giant live episode of Combat Cash, the latest in the reality tv antique hunter/seller shows.

Where are the guys who value the idiosynchracies of why an M42 EF SS has ET decals, how did they get them, what was behind all this. Or what unit wore this particular maker marked cap, why was it ordered in such a configuration etc. What small role did these items play in the big stage of WW2 for example? Was there a historical significance?

I know, I am ignoring reality somewhat, we all buy and we all sell eventually and nobody wants to take a loss. Call me a romantic or naive. But I tire of the profit motive that seems to be taking over collecting right now.
    Well said Doug, very well said... Unfortunately, it seems as though all that may people care bout nowadays is the cash value instead of historical value, which is a shame. Even I, as a 16 year old, am trying to collect ww2 militaria for the pure reason of preserving their historical significance. I always wonder... where were these things? who did they belong to? What did they see? Many of the things I have are a good 70 years older than myself, and the aspect of this, for some reason, is incredibly appealing. I just hope there are more people in my generation that will collect and preserve in the same way
    Regards
    Finn

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Am I the only one who feels this thread has become a little bit unreasonable? There was a post just a few days ago called "Equality"

Equality.

which included the line:

"Acting with arrogance and superiority over other members is unacceptable."

and went on to say

"There have been instances of late which are not in the spirit of the forum where members have been acting above their station and with an air of superiority, conceit and condescension towards others. This will not be allowed to continue. It is rude, intimidating and very uncomfortable to fellow forum users."

Yes indeed, and this is making me uncomfortable. I know griffinz asked 'what do you think of this now?', but answers, even where they are in disagreement, need to be polite, and I feel some of the posts are very close to the unacceptable. After all, when it comes down to it, he can dump the helmet in Nitric Acid if he wants to, it's his property.

Rob
    Rob, while I understand where you are coming from, I think that many of these guys, who are respected members of the forum and have been for quite some time, are simply telling the truth. Sometimes, the truth doesn't sound pretty, but griffinz asked for opinions, and he got them.. nothing more, nothing less. It is indeed his property and he can do what he wants, but if he asked for outside opinions, people will grant him his request, and will respond using their knowledge.
    Despite this, I wish the best of luck to griffinz.
    Regards
    Finn

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast