Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What is a transitional helmet???

Article about: Frank, on your first helmet the strap looks identical to a strap seen on a pair of German captured French-made goggles that I have on one of my helmets. Very interesting

Default Re: What is a transitional helmet???

Frank, on your first helmet the strap looks identical to a strap seen on a pair of German captured French-made goggles that I have on one of my helmets. Very interesting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a transitional helmet???
    P
    Many

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Completely incorrect , just look at pictures of the Blitzkrieg or Normandy even.
    And images of the fighting on the Ostfront as well.

I consider true transitionals to be the WWI shells that were issued during the pre War Third Reich era with double decals through 1935, but no later than 1939, whether or not they were repainted or relined. The WWI shells that were issued during the War (WWII) with single decals are, in my mind, more properly referred to as reissues. That having been said, I own an M16 Austrian double decal Heer helmet with a zinc/steel liner with rounded bales and pig skin leather that most definitely was put together after 1940. Quite a few of these exist. I seem to recall that I heard that some believe that these were actually repainted and re decaled prior to the War, but not completed with the installation of an M31 liner and simply stored away because they were not needed. The theory is that they were completed and issued after 1940 when there were supply shortages. Many would consider these to be Trannies as well, although I still prefer to refer to mine as a reissue. Now that we have settled that, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I guess I should stop rambling - sorry. Jim G.

Transitionals were most certainly used in combat. Many photos exist to prove this.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I consider true transitionals to be the WWI shells that were issued during the pre War Third Reich era with double decals through 1935, but no later than 1939, whether or not they were repainted or relined. The WWI shells that were issued during the War (WWII) with single decals are, in my mind, more properly referred to as reissues. That having been said, I own an M16 Austrian double decal Heer helmet with a zinc/steel liner with rounded bales and pig skin leather that most definitely was put together after 1940. Quite a few of these exist. I seem to recall that I heard that some believe that these were actually repainted and re decaled prior to the War, but not completed with the installation of an M31 liner and simply stored away because they were not needed. The theory is that they were completed and issued after 1940 when there were supply shortages. Many would consider these to be Trannies as well, although I still prefer to refer to mine as a reissue. Now that we have settled that, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I guess I should stop rambling - sorry. Jim G.
    good stuff Jim.
    chris

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    There were loads of WW1 helmets left. The German army was significantly smaller in the pre war years than the war years.
    So there would be many shells that were not conditioned to double decal's pre 1939.
    So basically there's no difference how it was rebuild or reissued a transitional is always an M16/M18 used during the TR period. Limiting them to 1939 is not correct in my opinion. Of course the term is one purely used by collectors to give a helmet a name and like with the "late war" term people can see things differently ;-)

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Frank, on your first helmet the strap looks identical to a strap seen on a pair of German captured French-made goggles that I have on one of my helmets. Very interesting

I guess it is , the helmet comes from France. Nice to see the complete goggles.

An example from a rally, SS men on parade. (helmet from RD)

What is a transitional helmet???What is a transitional helmet???

Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    An example from a rally, SS men on parade. (helmet from RD)

What is a transitional helmet???What is a transitional helmet???

Morris
    Not to nitpick Morris but I think that is an interwar commercial helmet rather than a reissued M18. I suppose it is a transitional though still, as it is the old style. And very sexy it is too

Ah yes mate, what am i thinking i shall source another image for the thread.
    Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast