Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what type of german helmet do i have?please help

Article about: thanks for the info,i will give it a try.What is the right color to repaint it with,and where can i find the right color paint? Thanks again

Default what type of german helmet do i have?please help

I just picked up a helmet i think it is WW2 one ,looks like a M42?can anyone tell me about it?real or fake?i got it a garage sale for alittle of nothing.its just the shell,owner said he painted black for odd years ago.only numers i can find stamped in it are in the back of the helmet they are 118 0r 3 and uder those numbers are 906,under the left side of rim i cant see any markings,maybe the thick black paint is covering them up?in the from of the rim bill has a small hole,looks like someone put a nail through it to hang on a wall.no dents or rust on the helmet its nice.i will try to post a couple of pics,any info and help would be most welcome.i measured the out side of the helmet is is 7 1/2 inches.
    thanks,
    jimwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what type of german helmet do i have?please help
    P
    Many

What you have stated is pretty much it. It is an M-42, repainted black and someone has put a hole in the peak to hang it on a nail. The maker and size numbers will likely be under the lip about where the left ear is, likely covered up by the paint.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

what type of german helmet do i have?please helpthanks,i will soon try to remove the old paint,here is a pic of the numbers inside the back of the rim,any advice on how to restore this old helmet?like removeing old paint,and what color paint should i repaint it with,and where to get the paint?
    thanks

?

You might be able to remove only the newer, black paint and leave the original. I don't know how, but I've seen it done already. It looks like there might be some rust under there, though.

Quote by Erno View Post
    You might be able to remove only the newer, black paint and leave the original. I don't know how, but I've seen it done already. It looks like there might be some rust under there, though.
    You can find a few threads on this here.
    Restoration & Refurbishing at War relics forum
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Looks like a ckl68. Made by the Eisenhutten plant in Thale.

Default One of My "Restorations"

what type of german helmet do i have?please helpwhat type of german helmet do i have?please help

I have a similar helmet shell purchased through Ebay a few years ago; it was also painted black and had 2 small holes drilled through the front where some kind of badge had been fastened. Postwar there were SO many of these available they were used by many European countries ( Czecheslovakia being one ) as fire or civil defense helmets, apparantly well into the 1950's and 60's. I stripped off all the black paint to the bare steel and filled the holes with epoxy, then used spray paint and powdered alluminum "texture" available from a dealer on Ebay. All the interior fittings: liner, liner bands, pins, rivets, and chinstrap were from a Czech Ebay dealer who specializes in helmet restoration. Only the crappy decals from a Romanian dealer have been a disappointment, and I think he now has better ones.

Another earlier attempt I made I didn't even bother to remove the black paint but just sanded it to remove any lumps and painted over it. I've redone 3 so far to I think fair success.

Default thanks for the info everyone

thanks for the info about my helmet,mine does not has two holes in it,it has a very small hole on the brim,i think someone put a small nail it to hang on a wall,i removed some of the black paint on the inside of the rear,the numbers are CKL68 over 3906,
    thanks all,
    james

how did you remove the old black paint?
    thanks

With a fairly mild paint remover that softened it and allowed most of it to be scraped away with a putty knife. DON'T use anything that will scratch or damage the steel like stiff wire brushes or wheels; #0000 steel wool is as abrasive as I got with it. It required a LOT of patience and repeated applications but I eventually got it all off and a nice smooth helmet shell to work with. Various things could be used to close the hole in yours - mine were small enough for epoxy and the residue could be sanded off, but other things are possible too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast