Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of helmet is this?

Article about: I have a steel helmet that has an unusual outward roll (~3/8") where the angled flaps meet the vertical portion that looks like it was formed by rolling a wheel around the inside of the

entropy1049
    ?

Default What type of helmet is this?

I have a steel helmet that has an unusual outward roll (~3/8") where the angled flaps meet the vertical portion that looks like it was formed by rolling a wheel around the inside of the lid. I've tried to doctor the photo below to show this. What type of helmet is this? I can't seem to find any info on helmets with this roll. Certainly looks German ~WWII (liner is typical of other steel helmets from Germany of this period...

Thanks!

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: What type of helmet is this?

looks to be a WW2 german beaded M35 the bead or ridge is to show its not of combat standard so was used for none combat purposes i.e. police & alike hope this helps ?

Hard to tell from the photo, but from what you described, it appears that the helmet is an M35 BEADED helmet. Beaded helmets are combat weight, but it is believed that they failed quality control inspections during the manufacturing process, were determined not to be ballistically sound, and rather than being scrapped or melted down, they were put into a jig and a bead was crimped into the perimeter, so that it would be obvious that they were not intended for use in combat. They were then surplussed out, and issued to the Luftschutz, factory guards, and other non combat details. Some have Police decals, some have Luftschutz decals, and later in the War some had no decals. There appears to have been a decal on your helmet. From the picture I can't tell what kind, but it probably was a Police Eagle. There have been some discussions about beaded helmets in this forum in the relatively recent past that are interesting. Hope this helped. Jim G.

This could be a "beaded" M35. Actually this helmet did not meet standards and was beaded to mark it as "below standard". Then these helmets were issued to Luftschutz units. These helmets were painted in a dark blue colour with the Luftschutz eagle on the front.

Possibly this helmet was used by a Volkssturm unit in the final days of the war and camouflaged.

Looks nice. Give us more pics especialy of the liner and the decal.

Cheers,
    Emile

entropy1049
    ?

Thanks for the speedy responses! This would stand to reason, that the roll was clearly added to the helmet later. It looks to be one continuous roll as one can identify the ending point of the roll as it overlaps the begining.

BTW- Photo is not mine, but I needed a helmet profile to demonstrate my incredible paintshop skills.

Another BTW- The one I have showed up in a friends yard in Central Iowa in the early 70's after a flood!

I ask myself over and over again why that elusive DD fallschirmjager stahlhelm didn't appear in my back yard last year when that tornado blew down 4 trees on my lot last year! So guys have all the luck! Jim G.

Stahlhelmexpert
    ?

no question a bigger sized m35 beaded helmet. These were used by luftschutz and polizei.

Greets,
    Donald