Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What war does my m1 helmet look like its from based on the pics ?

Article about: I have recently Purchased an m1 helmet for \\$114.00. I think it's ww2 but I'm not sure. It's rear seam with swivil bales. I know they started making rear seam in November of 1944. Does any on

Default What war does my m1 helmet look like its from based on the pics ?

I have recently Purchased an m1 helmet for $114.00. I think it's ww2 but I'm not sure. It's rear seam with swivil bales. I know they started making rear seam in November of 1944.
    Does any one know how many rear seam were produced in ww2 (estimate) and what the chances are of me owning one is ?

Here are some pics, based on them what war does it look like its from ?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/5c26c08e.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/783113df.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What war does my m1 helmet look like its from based on the pics ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What war does my m1 helmet look like its from based on the pics ?

Hi Dominick,

What's the number on the inside of the helmet? To thoroughly anazyle your helmet I'd like to have this number, along with clear pictures of the liner, chin straps, weld marks on the bales, rim, cork/paint texture...
    Production of rear seam manganese rim helmets with swivel bales began late in 1944, i.e. October-November. Manganese rims didn't reflect that much, thus the helmet was camouflaged a lot better. The rear seam of the helmet was placed there to reduce the risk of injuries when the rim would come off because of explosions etc.. If a rim with a front seam came loose, there was always a risk that it would injure the wearer in the face.

Cheers,
    Ken

?

It's hard to tell from the low quality of the pictures. As Ken said, pictures of the liner are needed. Close ups of the chinstrap, bales and the HEAT stamp on the inside would be very helpful too.

Nitram

can a mod loose this thread as the good member has already started one on the correct us M1 thread thanks,minnie.

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    It's hard to tell from the low quality of the pictures. As Ken said, pictures of the liner are needed. Close ups of the chinstrap, bales and the HEAT stamp on the inside would be very helpful too.

Nitram
    Agreed, it would be practically impossible to give any real opinion based on these pics.
    You need to take clear photos of all the key points that Ken, and Nitram mention, using the macro mode of your camera (that's the flower symbol on your camera).
    Ensure there is adequate light, preferably daylight, and keep the camera as still as possible.
    Hope this helps.

Brad.